Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know next to nothing about Colt SAA's other that I've wanted one about all my life. Today I found a 1983, 5 1/2" model in .44 spl., blued, for $975.00. The gun hasn't been shot, comes w/ all the paper work & warranty card, but not the box.
I felt it was a fair price. Bought it.

Should I just use it & not worry about it's unfired, pristine condition or stick it in the safe as is? Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you use it make sure the holster maker uses real horse hide lining on the inside of you holster.. it stops bluing loss very well.. probably needs to be usa tanned.. good luck. not knowing this cost me about 300 dollars in resale value on my national match i bought in 1969 or there abouts, dave.. my opinion its not a first generation, so id shoot it.. for it to gain a whole big bunch in value will be after your lifetime.. unless colt stops making non transfer bar guns becouse of insurance reasons..

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you use it make sure the holster maker uses real horse hide lining on the inside of you holster.. it stops bluing loss very well.. probably needs to be usa tanned.. good luck. not knowing this cost me about 300 dollars in resale value on my national match i bought in 1969 or there abouts, dave.. my opinion its not a first generation, so id shoot it.. for it to gain a whole big bunch in value will be after your lifetime.. unless colt stops making non transfer bar guns becouse of insurance reasons..

·
Registered
97 Posts
I shoot all of my firearms, including ones acquired in condition like yours. Colt, at one time, fired every arm prior to its leaving the factory. Pre-war arms came with a signed test target. So, at least with older arms, there is no such animal as an unfired Colt.

I do clean all arms carefully after use. With care they stay like new. I don't carry high dollar pieces through brambles and such while hunting, but otherwise do enjoy using my "collectables" while I own them.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts