Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Gun barrel

Picked this up off Gunbroker. Seller says muzzle break is threaded to muzzle and easily removable. Can you guess my next step - after buying a 1st Series Match Target?

Reactions: longhorn too

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belly gun? Never heard that term. But yes, I figure the YHM repro Maxim cans that attach off center so iron sights can be used. If I had a spare $10,750 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy Mr. Pauli's rig. Can't compete with that but a suppressed MT would be different. Initially thought that wouldn't work cause of the MT's flat sides. But we'll see how this barrel is set up for its muzzle brake and then decide. Then try to bet a bargain MT 1st Series for it. I could reblue it cause its historical value with this barrel would be out the window for most collectors, but it would be valuable to a whole nother set of collectors. We'll see - someday. Snagged this barrel/brake setup for only $100.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Hello,
Interesting barrel. Did the seller say that this muzzle brake was factory installed? Are you aware of any history of 1st series MT's with muzzle brakes? The brake itself looks similar to a S&W Model 41 brake, but I can't zoom in on the pic to see. When you get it I would be very interested in seeing more pic's. I wanted to add that it's a great score for a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
The Maxim can was geared towards use with the standard pre-war, round barrel Woodsman of its era - it may not work as you hope, without a lot of screwing around.

This set-up would make for a good shooter, though - left as-is.

The Woodsman - with a period can - is a bit ungainly.

We had a couple of Huntsmans with MAC cans that weren't much better, but were effective for what they were built for - the can's attachment device 'snapped' over the front sight.

·
Registered
332 Posts
IF its 1/2x28 thread a standard 1" suppressor will work with the already high original front sight, no need for offset. You can try an ar-15 flash suppressor on the threads to see if it is 1/2x28. The threaded area is a little short but might be OK. Looks like a fun project. Good luck and Good shooting!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was a Class 3 Dealer for many years and an attorney for 28. Won't be doin' nuttin' wrong. I'll post more as project unfolds. The best suppressed .22lr's are made on the Ruger since sights don't move like they will on a Woodsman, etc. But everybody and their brother has a suppressed Ruger.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Well I always like to show this old RUGER that was set up for a "CAN" from the factory.....one of 3 known T514's with the US marking and the only one still wearing threads....I kinda like it....and not "EVERYONE" has one of these......RR

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rad, nice. Had an internally suppressed AWC Ruger years ago. Used Chore Boy copper scrub pads which could be replaced when burned out. Did it once and it was a bit of a pain packing it. I would much prefer SS baffles. Don't know much about the YMH Maxim copy but like the look with the off center design. Modern 22LR designs are much slimmer and don't need the off-center design to use the iron sights. Seller says the muzzle brake is NOT the same as seen on many Smith 41's. Says it is marked 'DINAN' on the end.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rad,
What's the story/history of the "U.S." marking. Most govt firearms are marked more like "Property of US Govt"?

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Well all RUGERS shipped to the GOVERNMENT were roll marked by RUGER with the U S on the top......

I have a very early RED EAGLE MKI with the same U S mark but hand stamped...#15329....these started at #15000 so it is pretty early....speculation is they had to send some to the military to be tested before they ordered any.....BUT I have nothing to verify my thoughts....

I can't get much info on it as RUGER will only give ship dates not who or where it went to for some reason.....this is their policy on all the guns....they use to verify the receiving person or company if you already knew where it went but they will no longer even do that.....RR.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
They stopped marking them as 'Property' after WWII.

The 'US' marking was enough.

Not all US Property stuff was so-marked.

Many of the commercial weapons weren't - even those that trace to Uncle Sam - some were electro-penciled, some were stamped or marked at the gaining point and some were left un-marked - like those Colt Woodsman survival pistols.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dog,
Keeping it as a modified MT with muzzle brake is always an option. If current threads fit, the can is just another option. And when I ever get a MT 1st Series I'll have the original barrel. Choices, Choices???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.