Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may attend an auction this weekend where this gun is being offered. What would be a "good" price to pay for this gun??

Thanks
Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Revolver

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
I've got one for sale right now on GB. It's complete with the original box. The bidding is currently up to $6600...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one has no box... If you were going to bid and try to get a good or "screaming" deal, what would be the most you pay?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I believe the subject gun is Nickel based on the front site being nickel color. Be sure to do your homework on the serial number and look for the stainless vs. nickel clues

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I believe the subject gun is Nickel based on the front site being nickel color. Be sure to do your homework on the serial number and look for the stainless vs. nickel clues
Good eye, Marc.

If it turns out to be nickel, change my response to -
1500, but don't fix the jewel thing. List on GB as 'rare, collector grade, Elite, mint,one -of -a- kind ', with a reserve of 4000.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great catch guys, I love this forum! Does this picture help?? The serial number of the gun is: v065xx - I believe it was made in 1978. Is it true that the SS guns were only made after 1981?? Thanks fellas!! Vehicle Car Model car

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The first stainless gun was introduced after 81 so that baby is nickel.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I'd give 1500 for that thing and carr the heck out of it lol. The 2.5 is still missing.......
Good eye, Marc.

If it turns out to be nickel, change my response to -
1500, but don't fix the jewel thing. List on GB as 'rare, collector grade, Elite, mint,one -of -a- kind ', with a reserve of 4000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Keystone, for the sake of those of us who use this forum for a learning tool, will you share some of the clues that differentiate nickel from SS. On more than one occasion I have asked the seller. Thanks,

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Sure maximus.

The First Clue that tipped me off on this one is the Front Sight is Nickel. No Stainless Firearm ever left the factory with a Nickel Sight.

Other Clues to watch for are the color of the pins that hold the front sight in. Stainless should have Mild Steel which appear black and the Nickel have...Well...Nickel.

Next will be the Cylinder release latch. The Nickel guns MOST of the time are smooth although I have handled serrated ones and the Stainless is always serrated.

I also look at the color of the top strap of the gun. When it is Nickeled it is very silver in color. When it is blasted Stainless it is a darker Gray color.

There will be "S" stamps on the Stainless gun. These appear inside the Ejector Rod housing, Under the Grips on the Frame, and on the BACK of the Cylinder when you push the Ejector up. The "S" could be in one of these areas and not the others or maybe in all 3. Depends on how the worker felt that day.

Last but certainly not least is Serial number. If it is prior to 1981 it's Nickel. 1982-around 1986 or 1987 could be either and after that they are all Stainless. The Serial number prefix of Py or PN are all Stainless also.

I can tell the difference between a Nickel and Stainless gun just by the Color of the gun. This is something that cannot be taught but to the trained eye you can spot the difference from 10 ft away. At times in Poor Gunbroker photos it is hard to tell but in person the difference is night and day. Nickel Firearms have a Copper Underlayment and the outer nickel layer is actually transparent. The Nickel guns have a Amber cast to them and the Stainless are very straight Silver in color. When Nickel is freshly buffed it is closer to Bright Stainless but the finish starts to oxidize or tarnish almost immediately and turns back to it's Amber color.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Sure maximus.The First Clue that tipped me off on this one is the Front Sight is Nickel. No Stainless Firearm ever left the factory with a Nickel Sight. Other Clues to watch for are the color of the pins that hold the front sight in. Stainless should have Mild Steel which appear black and the Nickel have...Well...Nickel.Next will be the Cylinder release latch. The Nickel guns MOST of the time are smooth although I have handled serrated ones and the Stainless is always serrated.I also look at the color of the top strap of the gun. When it is Nickeled it is very silver in color. When it is blasted Stainless it is a darker Gray color.There will be "S" stamps on the Stainless gun. These appear inside the Ejector Rod housing, Under the Grips on the Frame, and on the BACK of the Cylinder when you push the Ejector up. The "S" could be in one of these areas and not the others or maybe in all 3. Depends on how the worker felt that day.Last but certainly not least is Serial number. If it is prior to 1981 it's Nickel. 1982-around 1986 or 1987 could be either and after that they are all Stainless. The Serial number prefix of Py or PN are all Stainless also.I can tell the difference between a Nickel and Stainless gun just by the Color of the gun. This is something that cannot be taught but to the trained eye you can spot the difference from 10 ft away. At times in Poor Gunbroker photos it is hard to tell but in person the difference is night and day. Nickel Firearms have a Copper Underlayment and the outer nickel layer is actually transparent. The Nickel guns have a Amber cast to them and the Stainless are very straight Silver in color. When Nickel is freshly buffed it is closer to Bright Stainless but the finish starts to oxidize or tarnish almost immediately and turns back to it's Amber color.
Wow, I need you on retainer

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
the rear sight is a replacement, the hammer and trigger are jeweled. the front sight has been changed to add a red insert. I don't know $1500? check out the timing if it's off, pass. if you can't check the gun out, pass.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm available. I'm going to need a monthly allowance, my own credit card, and a GL650 as my company vehicle....With Gas card please.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.