Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I am not an expert, but if all is "legit" how is it no one has bid on this gun ? If he was original owner where is the box? I would have thought that you keep the papers with the box. The finish does't look right to me, but I am by no means an expert. "i never shot nobody, but used it for protection" Maybe it is me but gut feeling is something is not right here. Most times a 2 1/2 inch Python is jumped on as soon as the gun hits an auction. this gun has no bids!! I am sure somebody on the forum who knows a whole lot more then me will add something. Probably tell you its a legit gun , and Blademan is a whack job, and don't know squat!!! LOL! Good luck.

Blade

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The gun looks a little dirty but in pretty good shape. The odd thing is a lack of bids as Blademan pointed out, these usually get gobbled up...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The "CTG"stamp looks light compared to the rest of the stamping other than that the gun looks right.I might be a little too picky for my on good.:)D*

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
There was another CO seller for a different Colt I was looking at and his last feedback was 4 years ago and same number (3). Asked him about a 3 day no fire inspection as I wasn't going to bid unless I got one. He waited until the auction was over to answer that it was a consignment gun and no 3 day. I just had a hinky feeling from the start so backed off and glad I did. If ya don't feel comfortable, back away.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
So whats the beef? Maybe the asking price? I have a 2 1/2" nickle python I bought new and a 4" blue. This gun looks straight to me. I bet I also have 20 to 30 various guns I bought new and sometimes didnt even ask the dealer for the box! Sometimes they got pitched anyway. I wasnt as sophisticated as you guys 40 years ago. Do you also go to circle K, buy a candy bar and you and the clerk each hang on to the dollar bill and the candy bar looking each other in the eye to see who lets go first?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just remember your last online purchase and proceede with caution. Your grading scale vs a no feedback seller is risky. Looks like an ok deal but not a steal in used condition with no box in my opinion.
the paperwork and original receipt is a nice touch. Good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it were a $100 - $300 revolver I could see a sold as is inspection period. With that said - if you believe in the product you are selling and asking a price like what is listed, you should be able to back it up with an inspection period........period! :) just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Actually he does have feedback. Not a lot of feedback but he has three positives. I don't know why people keep saying the seller has no feedback.

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
I think the gun look fine from what I can tell. I think the seller is legit. The price isn't even too bad these days. I want an inspection period. It is a deal breaker. End of story. As always, JMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
auction ran out, no sale, thanks all for input
I think you did the right thing. Not to beat a dead horse, but I just posted on a New Frontier that I bought two days ago and brought it back the next day. Myself and the gun shop both over-looked an obvious barrel change. It was no money out of my pocket ..a no questions refund was issued... and the reason I mentioned this is because he also had a nickel diamondback (4" I think) that came in with it last weekend. I'm assuming same seller brought it in. I am not very familiar with the snake guns and so I let it pass, and that's with being able to hold the gun. $2k is just too much to chance. The other thing that made me whary is even Blue Book of Gun Values warns in the Python listings about getting someone to verify the gun for you. I would trust several on the forum to verify if they had all the photos they needed to do so. I used to hate letting a gun go that I really wanted. After enough disappointing situations, I've learned that there will be another one for sale. again, you did the right thing.

·
Registered
685 Posts
One comment and a question. I agree about the box. I have very few boxes from my pistol/rifle/shotgun purchases. I buy the guns to shoot and use and the boxes tend to get moved, moved some more, moved even some more and finally discarded.
As for feedback, this sounds like one of those "Catch 22" situations. You need feedback so that buyers will trust you. You can't get feedback without selling something, but no one will buy what you are selling because you have no feedback. So, how does one sell something to gain positive feedback when no one wants to buy from someone with no feedback?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
So, how does one sell something to gain positive feedback when no one wants to buy from someone with no feedback?

To gain feedback you start out small. Little items for 10, 20, 100 dollars, etc. Buyers don't mind taking a chance on a relatively small amount of money. This takes some time and patience on the part of a new seller. It does surprise me how many sellers with no feedback don't bother with this step and will offer up, as their first item, something that's priced at several thousand dollars.

John Gross

·
Registered
66 Posts
Possibly sell some "minor" items just to set a foundation for the day you go bigger? You make a good point.

I also would think it strange that he would have all the correct paper work yet no original box. I had one of these revolvers and it came in a styrofoam container with the brown box. We all do things differently. Think you possibly made a wise decision.

One comment and a question. I agree about the box. I have very few boxes from my pistol/rifle/shotgun purchases. I buy the guns to shoot and use and the boxes tend to get moved, moved some more, moved even some more and finally discarded.
As for feedback, this sounds like one of those "Catch 22" situations. You need feedback so that buyers will trust you. You can't get feedback without selling something, but no one will buy what you are selling because you have no feedback. So, how does one sell something to gain positive feedback when no one wants to buy from someone with no feedback?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Well I have to say, I didn't keep the boxes to all my guns. Especially a number of years ago. I did take and keep all the paperwork on them though, in a file folder. I have a pile of different manuals and registration cards, etc. - Back then the boxes didn't mean bubkiss to me!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts