Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 1/2\" Ultimate Bright Stainless Steel Python

A fellow employee has this for sale. I was told that this is a rare gun. I'm trying to get the serial#. When did the Ultimate finish become available? Is this considered rare due to the barrel length?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: 2 1/2\" Ultimate Bright Stainless Steel Python

Be careful about the play on words here!!!!

Colt made an Ultimate Python for a couple years, I think 1991-1993, and they are more expensive, but that gun was only made in 6" length. This gun could be had in either Colt Royal Blue or "Ultimate" stainless steal. These guns also came with special tuning, extra grips, extra rear sights etc., thus the higher cost and resale.
Now they also made the Python in "Ultimate" Bright Stainless Steel in 2 1/2",4",6",and 8" up until about 1985 when it was discontinued. It sold for about the same price as all other Pythons, the only difference was the "Ultimate" stainless was buffed to high polished finish to almost look like chrome. Same gun though, nothing special if you liked the glare. Maybe someone else has some more dope on these guns. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 09-03-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts

Even a 2 1/2" Python with the Ultimate bright polish finish isn't all that rare.

A check of the gun auction sites will often turn one up.

As a word of warning: A fair number of stainless Pythons were given a bright polish outside the factory, often by the owners themselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Found out the serial#. It is T766xx. I assume that this makes it a mid '80s gun.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts

The available factory numbers only go up to 1985 and number T34453, so it would be a later 80's gun.

·
Registered
95 Posts

T766xx would probably be 1987 or 1988. T736xx was a 1987 production Python. I have been keeping track of dates by serial numbers by reading internet postings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts