Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi gang;

I know how difficult it is to offer a value for something unseen but I was wondering if anyone here could give me just an idea what a Cobra Colt with a 2" barrel might be worth these days. It is apparently in excellent condition.

I have been offered this gun from a gentleman who was one of our Crown Attorney's about 37 years ago. The reason I need a value of sorts is because he's offered it to me for the horrendous sum of $75.00

I told him I would love to own the gun but I would take it only on the basis that I pay a fair market price for it. He said that would be a wonderful idea, and I go to see him in an hour.

Thanks if you can help at all.

Bud

“I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.”

John Wayne - The Shootist

·
Registered
503 Posts
I checked Gun Broker quickly and found 1 worn one sold for $329, several nice ones sold in the $400-450 range and 1 very nice sold for $649. I am no expert on value, just passing on several that sold.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually that's a big help, thank you.

I think I'll pay the man $250.00 instead of his asking price of $75.00 It may not be way up there, but I think it's a fair offer consiering what he wanted for it. At least I'll feel a little better about it.

Many thanks

Bud

“I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.”

John Wayne - The Shootist

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Short Barrelled Guns

Hello;

While you are right, to a point, the restriction in Canada is on the barrel length and not the firearm itself. Unless you have owned what in Canada is called a PROHIBITED firearm prior to the change of regulations, which is prior to ,December 1st. 1998, then a Canadian citizen cannot ever own such a firearm. A PROHIBITED handgun in Canada is one that has a barrel length of 105 mm or less, or one that can load and discharge .32 Cal or .25 Cal ammunition.

If you have a certain (Prohibited Firearms License), which in Canada is called a P.A.L. Possession and Acquisition License for PROHIBITED firearms then you can own these classes of firearms. These guns are also no longer allowed to be imported into Canada.

That being said, if we were to come across a handgun that has a barrel length of 106 mm, then this is perfectly ok and that would come under what in Canada is called a "RESTRICTED" license. A restricted gun license is one that you can own a handgun that is not a Prohibited class firearm.

Here's a link to our Royal Canadian Mounted Police (our Federal Police), that explains all about Non-Restricted, Restricted and Prohibited firearms. Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Finally, PROHIBITED firearms at auction do generally go for less money these days as it is believed that the demand is low. This couldn't be further from the truth. Prohibited handgun are most certainly in demand here in Canada because, as I noted earlier, we can no longer import them into Canada for any reason whatsever.

Canada has some of the most illogical gun laws in the world. For example, we (generally speaking) cannot own a handgun that has a barrel length of 105 mm but a barrel length of 106 mm is perfectly alright. Go figure.

Thanks for your comment though.

Bud

John Wayne - The Shootist.

I just noticed your location as Canada. I was under the impression that short barreled pistols were prohibited there.

That might be why the price was so low.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for clearing up some misconceptions I had concerning Canadian law. To offer the gentleman $250.00 is an honorable and good thing. I've owned Cobras, Colt's that is, and they have always been a pleasure to shoot and to own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts