Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a Colt Python that has 2 bullets lodged in the barrel. The first bullet lodged in the end. Apparently not realizing it, the owner shot a second bullet which stuck behind the first one and severely bulged the barrel. Here at Custom Shop, we will replace the barrel and completed refinish the gun to look just like new (and functional again).

Below is a video of the revolver and the damage. Tomorrow we post detailed photographs of the bullets and bulged barrel.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/k2TFAiL807Y?rel=0[/video]

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dang strong barrel to take another round behind the first one and not blow up.
Guess the old saying is true 'they don't make em like they used to!'

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I know it is out of focus, but does that bullet at the muzzle look like its backwards?
If a hollowpoint, I wouldn't think the end would be flattened like that.

*Edit*
It appears that the bullet at the muzzle hit another bullet stuck in the barrel and knocked it out.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
YIKES! Years ago, a fellow gun club member told me of his experience with a similar situation. He had a S & W 4" stainless revolver. I do not recall if it was in .38 Special or .357. He did his own reloading and used light loads and lead SWC bullets. He fired five rounds and found out that not one, not two, not 3, but FOUR bullets were stuck in the bore!!! No damage to the gun or himself. I'm guessing that he had very little powder or no powder at all. I am assuming just the primer and no powder is strong enough to move the lead bullet into the barrel. Talk about lucky!

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
You don't need to post the same thing on several sections of the forum. It's repetitive and completely unnecessary. It also serves to annoy when you don't need to.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
You don't need to post the same thing on several sections of the forum. It's repetitive and completely unnecessary. It also serves to annoy when you don't need to.
I agree. And really, what's so special about a barrel change? Seems like they want to boost basic gunsmith work as something fantastic that only they can do.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
But they used 3 exclamation points!!!

I am just going to block their posts.
Yeah, that might be a good idea. The problem is that there will be nobody left to cut through the crap, just look at the comments in the "dragon gun" thread. Somebody scratched a pattern through the bluing, and they're making it sound like the gun was engraved. In yet another thread they're working on guns that "have been burnt in a fire!!!", and I was really excited to see what this would be, Come to find out, the actual damage was just some minor, superficial bluing loss, possibly from being exposed to some kind of fire retardant. Exaggerations like that get old pretty darn quick.

The sad part is that people buy into it and think they're doing something magic. They do good work, but their sales pitch seem to be geared toward those who don't know crap about gunsmithing.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Wonder if the barrel can be cut back to 4"?
Yes it can be cut back to 4" but since you are cutting it back or changing the barrel, why not make it 3" and have something custom and something that many people want and can't be had. It will cost you lot less than $15,000 or some other astronomical number.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Since it won't be original any longer collector value is gone.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Yes it can be cut back to 4" but since you are cutting it back or changing the barrel, why not make it 3" and have something custom and something that many people want and can't be had. It will cost you lot less than $15,000 or some other astronomical number.
These barrels should only be cut back from the rear. The sight ramp is tapered, and if you cut the front section off you would also have to weld up and machine a new sight ramp. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody has tried it, but I wouldn't recommend doing that much welding on a barrel.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If the admins don't care, doesn't bother me. And if they do good work I don't mind seeing their work.....if you know of other smiths that can do the work they do, sing their names from on high.....I would like to know a good colt smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
.if you know of other smiths that can do the work they do, sing their names from on high.....I would like to know a good colt smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank Glenn in AZ offers high quality work at a reasonble price. Fast turnaroud time too. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree. And really, what's so special about a barrel change? Seems like they want to boost basic gunsmith work as something fantastic that only they can do.

They are trying to clean up now that Colt no longer works on revolvers & that CCS is now down to 2 from 6 gunsmiths.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts