Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've located a 2 digit Colt Model 357. The seller is asking a 30% premium. The gun is mint but no box. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've come to find out that many non-collectors have never heard of the Model 357. I have 1 in excellent condition in nickel and this gun would fit in well.

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Looks like that gun was made in 1954. Some collectors put a premium on low serial number guns and are willing to pay more. And you are right, the Colt 357 is still somewhat of a sleeper, but watch the prices rise. So what is he asking, about $650?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gun is already sold. He got $795 out of it. Seller said it didn't last long. Question is, Did the mint condition sell it or the low serial number or a combination of both? It was difficult for me to justify $795.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some years back I inquired at a Tampa pawn shop if they had any early 2nd gen SAA colts. The reply was, "Is serial number 2 early enough for you?" The gun was papered and had once been owned by a Colt executive. There was no doubt a premiun on this low number, but as the saying goes, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. I didn't ask. I believe serial number 0003SA was once in the Sutherland collection.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Dee P Six,
I have heard about the Sutherland collection Colt second generation SAA. I believe it is serial number 01003SA as Colt started the 2nd Gens at serial number 01001SA. I don't know what that one sold for, but I recently had the opportunity to handle serial number 01010SA. It was boxed and in 99% condition. It lettered to a dealer in Ohio. The gun was already sold. It brought $3850.

My personal experience shows that most collectors want condition, but a significant number of them like the low serial numbered guns and will pay a premium for them. I have S&W Model 1893 .32 revolver serial number "40" and I specifically bought it for the low number. My main passion is finding all of the known variations for the particular theme I am collecting...
Take care, Bob Best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts