Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I've recently made the following two purchases, that I'd like your input on:

1) Yesterday I picked up a 6" Anaconda that was sold new in '98. It's in literally 100% condition, and barely fired. The original heavy oil/grease was still visible in some places. Anyway, I paid $400 for it. Reasonable, smokin' deal, too much, or what?

2) Couple of months ago, I bought an 8" "Python Target" in .38 Special. It is new in the box. I have a feeling that the $1,200 I laid down for this one was too much green. Seems like a rare snake, and I probably should have checked closer . . . but I really WANTED it! What 'ya think?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
shuter

Here is my two pennies FWIW.

1) YOU STOLED THE ANACONDA---- O.K.?

1) Assuming the the Python is all authentic which I'm sure it is or you would not have laid out that kind of bread for an iffy gun,it was your call. A Python in true 38 Special is stictly a deep pocket gun, as in what were you willing to pay at the time and are you happy with it, then that is the price for that gun. Their is no book on it that I know of unless someone else has a better idea. Dick

·
Registered
124 Posts
$400 is a steal. THe best I've seen is $499 on a 95% gun.

$1200 is steep, but like he said, it is a personal thing re how much you want it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
$400 on the Anaconda is a good deal. I have one in .45Colt and you probably will like yours. If your Anaconda is in .44mag then it has been rated as one of the most accurate .44mag on the market.

I've seen several .38sp Pythons over the years, but actually they are valued no more than a standard Python ($600 to $700). But since there really aren't that many the price is what you are wiling to pay. The last one I saw, 2 years ago, had a $850 price tag for LNIB with all papers.

Here's several really nice .38sp Pythons:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=10767996
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=10859230

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-03-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-03-2003).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After popping the sideplate, and hosing down with Crud Cutter the Anaconda is awesome! Never owned or even shot one, but I can't wait.

Yeah, the python is a gorgeous 8" blued gun. The barrel is marked "Python Target", and it's marked ".38 Special". Don't think they made too many; but it's probably not worth near what I paid. Oh well, it's still a very sweet revolver.

Since this was my first post, I'll just add that I also have a 6" blued Python that I bought new about 8-10 years ago that I LOVE, and a third gen Single Action Army from about 8-10 years ago as well in .44 Special. This one is a 4 3/4", w/extra cylinder in .44-40, and is marked "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" on the barrel. It's got the "black powder frame", with the screw (as opposed to the spring-loaded) retention method for the base pin, and scalloped leading cylinder edge.

Oh, and the best for last: It's had Bob Munden's "deluxe action job" done on it! This may be my favorite firearm of all (among about 60)!

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts