Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2\" New Service maybe?

The round butt Official Police discussion revives my original thought ... I'm pretty sure I once saw a 2" barrel New Service. I thought it was called, "The Marshall." But I guess I'm mistaken there. I've gotten a glimpse of a 2" barrel Official Police and some of you have told me they were not that unusual. But I still remember this shortie, huge frame colt in a very nice, not-for-sale-display-only collection at a gun show in Garden City, Kansas. It couldn't have been a cobble job in this guy's collection. Anyone ever seen anything like this? It was plain blue with regular dark wood stocks with medallions. I have seen a few home-made jobs - including a snubbed S&W 1917 that makes me wince thinking about it, but this one sure looked good.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Re: 2\" New Service maybe?

If the revolver you describe was legitimate, it was probably a "Fitz Special." See Page 361 of "The Book of Colt Firearms."

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts

Back in the 30's Colt had a famous factory rep named Fitzgerald, better known to one and all as Fitz.

He liked Colt revolvers with the hammer spur cut off, and the front of the trigger guard cut away. He carried a pair of these "Fitz Specials" in his front pants pockets, and they were New Service guns.
(Needless to say, Fitz was a monster-huge man, and the New Service looked like a Detective Special held by an ordinary man).

He supervised the factory alteration of Fitz Specials made from Detective Specials and New Service revolvers.
The "hall mark" of the Fitz Special was the spur-less hammer, and the cut-away trigger guard.

Colt also has a long history of supplying custom guns to people. Custom barrel lengths were no problem, and possibly this was a factory custom gun.

Then too, back in the 1960's the US Postal Service released a huge quantity of New Service .45's they gotten from the military in the 1930's.

Many of these were cut down to 2" guns.
One, that belonged to a Miami Detective,
was written up in a gun magazine.

He stated that the "bad guys" never made any trouble when he shoved the 2" .45 caliber barrel in their faces.

So, the 2" NS could be a factory custom order gun, or something altered by a non-factory 'smith.

Unless you talk to the collector, you'll probably never know.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Anything under a 4" N.S.,was "special order",the most famous being the "Fitz Specials",developed by Colts own, Mr. Fitzgerald. Bobbed hammers,cutaway trigger guards etc! Good photo of a regular 3" N.S. in the "grading" section of one of the older "Blue Book of Gun Values". To my eyes this looks much better.Something about Large Frame Revolvers,with "short barrels" that look like the drawings of muscular eunuchs,that the medieval Byzantine Emperors used to protect their harems.Almost bought a cut down M-1917 N.S. from a retired State detective,who had huge hands,but I bought his personal 2" O.P. instead.Like the 3" Python thread,beware of any under 4" N.S. that owner claims is "factory".Unfortunately,you can usually tell the "eunuch" New Services,as they were gunsmithed on the kitchen table! Bud

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

In the mid 50's, many of the surplus Colt 1917's, were shortened to 2&3/4 inch barrels, and spruced up to be sold as carry guns. Hudson Sports was one of the dealers who sold these for the astronomical price of $44.00 each....vs $24.00 for the unmodified 1917's. The trigger guards were left intact, unlike the questionable practice used to create the "Fitz specials".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Kleins,whose most "infamous" customer was A. Hidell,also had some cut down Colt 1917s.(If you went much below 2 3/4",the ejector rod would have to be cut down & rethreaded so as not to project beyond muzzle)."A Hidell" bought a 6.5 Carcano carbine w/scope,and a cut down S&W Victory converted to .38 Special. Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts