Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems there are 2 numbers on my colt here, the one on the frame says it's to a 1974 cobra agent, and the one that appears more scratch numbered on the barrel is 1972 series 3 lawman. My guess is the barrel was maybe replaced? Any input?
20200811_065745.jpg
20200811_065803.jpg
20200811_065823.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I type it into the colt serial look up, this is what comes up

MKIII SERIES: LAWMAN, METROPOLITAN,OFFICIAL POLICE, OFFICER MODEL MATCH & TROOPER

???

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
For me it comes back to a 1974 Cobra or Agent. The scratched in number has nothing to do with Colt...as already said it could be a police property or evidence number or even the drivers license number of a former owner as an ID.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For me it comes back to a 1974 Cobra or Agent. The scratched in number has nothing to do with Colt...as already said it could be a police property or evidence number or even the drivers license number of a former owner as an ID.
What he said.

If that scratched in number was for a lawman why would the barrel be marked by Colt as Cobra ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What he said.

If that scratched in number was for a lawman why would the barrel be marked by Colt as Cobra ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
That would have been my thought too, just odd the scratched number is the same pattern as a colt serial number And still comes up as something in a search, never seen that before

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is it likely it was police/ detective used? Was that one way they Id them in some departments back then? I'm just outside chicago btw if that maybe means anything.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Unlikely it’s a case number or Any of those that I’ve seen. All around here are prefaced with the year notation followed by a dash, then case number.
it’s some number of personal significance followed by initials would be my guess.
Makes a great conversation point!
Vic

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
No - departmental markings are usually highly visible - often on the butt itself, or on the backstrap.

Electro-pencil markings are applied by an individual - in this case, as perhaps a stolen firearm or one used in a crime of some sort and so-marked as evidence, and initialed by the responsible officer.

It could also be someone's personal ID mark, as has been mentioned above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hm well it was a bit dirty from use when I bought it and only appeared to be used a handful of times, maybe used in a self defence situation and the owner didnt get it back or didnt want it?? Maybe, dunno but adds some character to it, it definitely looks carried

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Living near Chicago won't help - their confiscated stuff usually gets dumped into Lake Michigan.

A piece lawfully returned 'can' return to the original owner and then can find its way into commercial channels - generally, that'd be a stolen piece, and not one used in a shooting incident, though - but jurisdictions and agencies vary, and sometimes it comes down to a judge.

If nothing else, the piece is clean, and you can always seek out a spare barrel if the numbers bother you.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
You can forget the Lawman thing. The Lawman frame is different and larger than your revolver frame. Also, Lawman weren't made with aluminum alloy frames like Cobras and Agents were. Lawman were larger steel-frame-only revolvers. D frames were made in steel or aluminum alloy, ie: Detective Special Police Positive Special, Cobra, Agent.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Mark III and all Colt coil-spring action revolvers have a different barrel threading as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts