Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Savage Model 1911 prototype is the rarest Savage trials pistol ever produced. It was Savage's final attempt and incorporated all the modifications and improvements introduced during the U.S. military pistol trials of 1908-1911. It is a different pistol than the earlier M1907 pistol. This is the pistol used in the final competitive test against the Colt Special Army in March 1911.

Only (4) M1911 prototypes were ever produced. This pistol is the one shown in Meadows' and Carr's books. Savage retained this pistol, marked only P2 (Prototype 2) and displayed it in the Savage Arms Collection in their museum until it was sold in 1977. The photos in Meadows' book are not credited to anyone, but the photo of this pistol in Carr's book is credited to Savage Arms Corporation.

The black & white photos don't really do justice showing the high polish and beautifully blued finish of the pistol. However, they do show every little mark and wear pattern on the pistol and make it very easy to verify this is the pistol shown.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I sure wish SAVAGE would have gone on to produce their .45 ACP Model as a regular production item and made a few hundred thousand of them.

I would love to have one!

So 'Scupted' and compact and mysterious in their way.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The text describes the bolt stop (slide release) and the magazine catch as being hard to manipulate.
The safety doesn't look to be much fun either, as compared to the 1911's natural placement and operation.

We surely made the correct choice back then.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The Military should have adopted both.

Air Corps, Navy and Coast Guard - the Savage.

Army and Marines - the Colt-Browning m1911

If the SAVAGE needed a little more tweaking to make the Grade, then, I am sure SAVAGE would have been glad to do what was necessary.

The design is just TOO cool to have not been produced!! It's a crime!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Funny how times have changed.
How PC is a gun that uses the name Savage with the picture of a native American Indian?

·
Premium Member
20,779 Posts
Cool looking pistol. Almost looks like a prop from a Si Fi movie.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Funny how times have changed.
How PC is a gun that uses the name Savage with the picture of a native American Indian?
Totally 'PC' by my Book!

The 'Indian Head Penny' was succeeded by the 'Lincoln Head Cent' in 1909.

Which was more beautiful or Romantic?

The 'Indian Motocycle' ( Hendee Mfg Co ) was also well known ( began in 1901 was it? ) till it finally went Belly-up n 1952/'53.

There were several other "Indian' Themed Brand Names back in the early 20th Century...but I am not remembering what all they were at the moment.

Which all kind of petered out of course, leading to our pejorative tense of the term 'Pee Cee' times of to-day.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Totally 'PC' by my Book!

The 'Indian Motocycle' ( Hendee Mfg Co ) was also well known ( began in 1901 was it? ) till it finally went Belly-up n 1952/'53.

There were several other "Indian' Themed Brand Names back in the early 20th Century...but I am not remembering what all they were at the moment.

Which all kind of petered out of course, leading to our pejorative tense of the term 'Pee Cee' times of to-day.
Speaking of which here are couple pics of my 1948 Indian Chief ;ground up restoration, paint is Sea Foam Blue, original paint offered by Indian in 1948.All original except tires and battery

After Restoration:

Before Restoration:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sixgunshorty35717/media/Indian48.jpg.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm not a biker, but damn that's nice work!Are there any photos existing of Luger's entry?
2 Prototype 45 acp Lugers were submitted for Trials.One was 'torture 'tested' into disrepair and discarded.The only surviving example is in the Cody Museum in Cody,Wyoming...At least, that's where i saw it.
And thanks re my Indian. Restored in S Dakota by top Indian restoration engineers in the US(name of firm upon request)
PC? Hell yes!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Totally 'PC' by my Book!

Don't forget the Cleveland Indians baseball team and Washington redskins football team. it seems that every year there are protests regarding their names. in the case of Cleveland, the team is named as a tribute to an indian baseball player, not as an insult but the pee cee crowd still whines on.
not a brand name but there's also the old cigar store display Indians.

cool savage pistol btw :cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
And "Big Chief" tablets.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
IMHO all this PC "stuff" (I'd use a stronger noun but Mitch would give me a time out) is WAY out of hand. Who's protesting? A few hundred people with nothing better to do? Read a few days ago that "Freshmen/Freshman" is no longer acceptable and will now be called "First Year Student". Give me a break, it's just plain idiotic. Go Indians, Go Chiefs, Go Redskins, GO "Insert a PC Incorrect name here" :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts