Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up recently at Cabela's; these are interesting guns I did not know much about. Think about how collectors chase Colt revolvers today, it is difficult to imagine that this gun was a special order in 1956, "made" in January 1957, and did not ship to a dealer until 1964. Sat on a shelf at Colt for over 7 years? After being "special made"? One of a shipment of 4, to a sport shop in Florida that still exists, but is now a gear shop for runners. Between the info from Bev, and a friend that is an old time Colt retiree (out of there 20+ years), I learned that all the 2" RB OPs were special orders. Some in all bright blue, some in duo tone blue, a tiny number in nickel.....all were "one off" made guns. You may find them with checkered triggers (not this one), checkered cylinder latches (yes on this one) and non-standard hammers (yes on this one). I still cannot get over these being made, and put on a shelf for 7+ years. Probably sold new for $50-60 too. Things sure have changed....
Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Rare indeed.I really like the looks of a snub nosed OP.Reminds me of a chubby DS.It would interesting to know how many are owned by forum members.D*

·
Registered
435 Posts
I also have a 2" Official Police that was made in 1957 and sat on the shelf for 7+ years before being shipped. The serial number of my gun is about 5800 numbers higher than yours. It has the standard hammer and trigger, smooth cylinder release latch, and a round butt as described in the Colt letter. It has a blue finish with wood grips. My gun was shipped in a shipment of 4 to a gun shop in Dayton, Ohio on March 25, 1964. Interestingly, your gun was shipped the next day, March 26, 1964, in a shipment of 4 also. It would be interesting to know why these guns sat on the shelf for so long before being sold. In his book on Colt Snub Nose Revolvers, Gary Peer estimates that only 250 to 500 of these 2" models were made making them very scarce indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JohnnyB, that is very interesting. I am going to put some more info out on these in the next few days if I can I am just stuck in a working my ass off rut right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.