all can view my website
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice Russ.

Reactions: krag96

·
The Consummate Collector
6,765 Posts
Coltguy, what year was your 2" OP manufactured ? I am curious when barrels with a slightly ramped front sight started to be used.
Three of the four are pre-war. The back left is a Post-War example. While most of the pre-war 2" O.P.'s have the round front site, a few of the later examples came with the tapered front ramp. I have also seen this feature on other pre war late O.P.'s

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
Nice to see!

I sure like the pre-War 2 inc OPs..!

I'd have bought one back then, for sure.

I have long thought that Colt ought to have offered the Army Special in a 2 inch Barrel, stating in the mid-latter '20s, along with the debut of their 2 inch PP and PPS.

·
Registered
709 Posts
February 1942 would have been just before the US Ordnance Dept had Colt transition to the manufacture of the Commando. Not many Official Police revolvers were built that year, only 5,000. And you got a short barrel with a specific destination. Great luck!

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe,
I am glad you wanted to play. Very nice.
randy

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
February 1942 would have been just before the US Ordnance Dept had Colt transition to the manufacture of the Commando. Not many Official Police revolvers were built that year, only 5,000....
I‘m curious as to how you arrived at the 5,000 OPs. Considering that at the beginning of 1942 production was in the upper 680-thousands and went up to the 724-thousands by fall, we‘re more likely looking at something around 35,000-plus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts