Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I dont know about its originality one way or the other, but I do have to admit, I sure like the look of the 2" OP's.

I had read (in this forum I believe) that most of the 2" OP's were roundbutts, which if true (I dont know) that would make this one even more scarce, if original.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would be very wary of this one. The serial number falls below the observed serial numbers for the 2" Official Police. All post war 2" OP's had round butts, the ejector rod looks to be too long to be correct and the marking on the right side of the barrel is incorrect. Reference Peer's book pages 145 to 148. I also doubt that the box/label is real since only 200 to 500 of this model were made and it is unlikely that Colt's would have had labels made for that small run of revolvers. I certainly agree with "thecoltguy" that a call to Colt's for verification is a must before bidding/buying this one.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Colt's changed it's name back to Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company in the later part of 1955. All of the post war 2" Official Police models were made after the name change and the right side of the barrel should be stamped
COLT'S PT. F. A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD CONN. U.S.A.

One more observation. The front sight does not look right to me either. The base is too rounded below the blade. The front and rear edge of the base should be perpendicular to the barrel. Also, it is difficult to tell in the pictures, but the rear sloped face of the sight does not appear to be serrated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
There were a small number of the 2" model made from around 1938 up until the beginning of WWII in the serial number range of 620,000 to 680,000. Peer estimates the number to be between 250 and 500. The pre-war guns had the half moon front sight and the caliber/model number stamp on the left side of the barrel is different from the post war guns.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
There were a small number of the 2" model made from around 1938 up until the beginning of WWII in the serial number range of 620,000 to 680,000. Peer estimates the number to be between 250 and 500. The pre-war guns had the half moon front sight and the caliber/model number stamp on the left side of the barrel is different from the post war guns.
Thank you very much JohnnyB, If I am reading the S/N correct on GB as 842722. Per Colt and Proof House it could be a 1955 Police Positive or a 1964 PPS or DS. I agree if 2", it should have a round butt.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No bids with around seven hours to go, may be to many red flags. The seller has several more Colt's
for sale, the blue 2.5" DB is nice, and not to high priced as of now. My search for a 2" OP continues.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,931 Posts
Seller now states the barrel in not original, at least he's honest. No price drop though.
Colt made a lot of 2" Official Police replacement barrels after the war and they all had the Hartford, CT. marking on the barrel. Look for a gun that has the Hartford, Conn. marking to have the best chance of it being original. Obviously the only way to be sure is to obtain a Colt letter. On a hard to find gun I always think it's prudent to call Colt and confirm it's originality. As the old saying goes "An ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.