Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2\" phython with ivory grip price ck. help

hi,i saw a 2" phython with ivory grip in the pawnshop and the owner said its from the 60s.he is asking for 1200. but having no idea i cant make an offer so i told him that ill came back.try to look at gunbroker and gunsamerica i cant find one,is these rare? should i put it in layawy before somebody snatch it? plse help im coming back there tomorrow to see if its still available,thank you

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Re: 2\" phython with ivory grip price ck. help

What kind of Ivory is the grips made of ?
Are they REAL Ivory or Real looks like Ivory ?
They make wonderful fakes nowadays. So you need to watch out for those. they are VERY hard to tell from real ones.
Was the gun Blue, Nickel or Stainless.
What is the serial number ? Is there a letter before or after the serial numbers ?
That would help us determine if it IS indeed from the 60's.
You should be able to pick up a dead Mint 2.5 inch Blue Python with original grips/stocks for right around $900-$1100 depending on Box & papers and location.
Real Ivory grips will add some to the value.
Fake ivory will detract from the value.
You have to calculate that the original factory wood grips have a value as well. So, if they are real Ivory and in nice shape (not cracked or chipped) you could add an additional fee.
****Unless they are fake Ivory and have dice on them.
Is the barrel marked Snake Eyes ?
It would be a nice price for an unfired all original Royal Blue Snake Eyes Python for the $1200.
Do they look like this ?

Then YES, it is very hard to find as only 500 were made by Colt.
But this was made in the 1980's.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
hi,i saw a 2" phython with ivory grip in the pawnshop and the owner said its from the 60s.he is asking for 1200. but having no idea i cant make an offer so i told him that ill came back.try to look at gunbroker and gunsamerica i cant find one,is these rare? should i put it in layawy before somebody snatch it? plse help im coming back there tomorrow to see if its still available,thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the seller is over priced but I think all 2" python's are over priced. Let the market tell you what the value is. Determine what year/condition/originality and find on one expired auctions that looks similar to what you have located. That's the going price. Closed Auctions

I'm not here to talk you out of the purchase but for the same money you can buy a 6" 1950's model (the cream of the Pythons) for the same money. I recently sold my 1956 model in 96% condition and a butchered front sight for $1100. The 50's models are the sweetest shooting guns.

Many sellers will say their 2" is rare, scarce or whatever but when you check the marketplace they are everywhere. That's why I do not believe they can command a price that they are currently going for.

I'm not here to talk you out of the purchase. Just don't jump into a purchase too quickly.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Addicted,
you think the little Pythons are overpriced, but I bought a mint 2 1/2 incher with everything included for under $1200 with shipping. You spoke of selling your 1950s 6 inch model for $1100, but it was in 96% condition with a butchered front sight which is considered a shooter and only because it is a 1950s model could you get a price like that. A pristine 1950s model is going to be much higher than that. His $1200 may get him a 1950s shooter, but certainly not a like new model.
The 2 1/2 inchers are somewhat harder to find than the other barrel lengths, but remember that this post is about a 1960s model and to a degree like the 1950s model are not found everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts