Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Between lousy weather and extended cabin fever, sometimes you get some questionable project ideas. I have made a couple pair of 2-piece Ebony grips for my 3rd Gen Colts from rough-cut blanks I got from jringo8769. They turned out pretty well....so, since I have more 1-piece guns, let's see what kind of trouble I could get in.
This time I took a 2-piece pair of rough cut blanks and made a 1-piece set. Since they came with the screw holes already drilled, I carved small plugs from ebony scrap and plugged the holes, shaped, fitted, sanded and polished.
If you look close you can see the plugs.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Neat project, congratulations. Wish I knew how to work wood, tried it a couple times, I’m useless (and I probably don’t have the right tools).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Those are gorgeous...
Love the one piece grips
Very well done
Thank u for sharing it with us
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Neat project, congratulations. Wish I knew how to work wood, tried it a couple times, I’m useless (and I probably don’t have the right tools).
Well if u are handy at all
Working with wood is not hard
Just takes patience and lots of trial and error...
do not be afraid to make mistakes...
use cheap stuff to start
I have had more mistakes than success in the beginning but as long as u learn from it...
worth the time doing it
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outstanding work, how did you fill the pre drilled holes? I have 2 sets of those blanks, 1 is already finished and on my new production SAA and 1 set is untouched. I would love to have them 1 piece for one of my USFA's.
I thought about several different options, a shiny brass pin in each hole, silver would look nice, maybe a small spot of something light such as maple, even opening the hole up and a disk of S+ Resin Ivory with my initial scrimshawed on both pieces.
I decided to go the simple route. The rough cut blanks are just a little long so instead of sanding the whole thing down to the base of the backstrap, I carefully held each panel on the grip frame and scribed a line then cut on the outside of the line. That left some sanding room and gave me a thin scrap to work with. I cut off a small piece of the scrap and sanded it round and tapered. I glued and gently tapped it into the hole and went to town sanding.
I tried to align the grain so it might not be as obvious but that didn't work out.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The grip look great.
You should be very happy with the results of your work.
Nicely Done! (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts