Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting from New Zealand....

Yesterday I was talking to one of our members at the Pistol Club and he mentioned that he is selling a few guns.
Jokingly I said "none of them are Pythons are they?" (a gun I have lusted after since the early 80's after shooting one in the UK when I used to live there but nothing affordable ever presented its self).
He said I've got 2 that I might sell... My Jaw hit the floor at that point!!!!!
One is either Stainless or Nickel, 4" barrel with not many rounds through it (no idea how many "not many" is).
And the other one is Blue, 4" and never been fired.
He said he is looking for $1800nz ($1500 usa) for the SS/Nickel one but wants $3000nz ($2500 usa) for the unfired one....

Considering that Pythons come up for sale in New Zealand hardly ever then which would be the best to think about going for?
I have only ever seen 1 for sale in the past 5 years and that one was a bit of a dog and was well used with a starting bid of 1500 and what appeared to be a much higher reserve.
Considering that I will shoot it on a regular basis which ever one I go for?
I have a little voice in my head saying "buy 'em both... buy 'em both... buy 'em both".
I can probably afford the $1800 one in a month or so but the unfired is very, very tempting.

He will keep 'em for a good few months as he doesn't need the cash immediately.

Unfortunately that's all the info I have at present, no serials etc... as I said I only spoke to him as he was leaving the club having found out just a few minutes before that he had 2 of them and was amenable to selling them.

Thanks in advance
Dr.Z

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
if you can only get one, I would get the NIB one. if they are that rare in NZ and you are planning on shooting it a lot, the better the mechanical quality the longer it will last you. just think how hard it will be to find parts or someone to work on it if the need arose. unless the cheaper one was really not fired much, like a box or two of ammo.

everyone will tell you to buy both. which if they are that hard to come by would be a good idea. but not all of us have money to drop, like you read on here all the time, and I completely understand the need to save up for it. so I would check them out in person and buy the one in best condition.

good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Greetings from California, I've spent some time in your wonderful country and can't wait to get back, especially to the South Island!!

Yes, buy 'em both!!!

Does the "never fired" gun have the serial #'d original matching box? If it does then it has high collector value (I'm a sucker for NIB guns) and that is the one I would buy.

On the second gun, I would want to know if its Stainless or Nickel. I love SST, especially for a shooter as they are easy to clean and repair small flaws. For this same reason nickel is my least favorite finish

Please post some pics once you gun it (or them) home!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does the "never fired" gun have the serial #'d original matching box? If it does then it has high collector value (I'm a sucker for NIB guns) and that is the one I would buy.
Sorry, as of yet I don't know any of that... As soon as I can get any more info I'll let you know...
I don't even have the guys phone number, but he is at the club every week.

Is there a thread somewhere or a link to "what to look for when buying a Python/Colt"?

Many thanks for the replies.
Dr.Z

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Buy them both if he gives you a deal for buying them both. Say like $3300 US for both.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Worth an ask but not sure I can get that much cash together to buy both....
And it would also mean Deaf and Dumb breakfasts for a couple of months and several weeks of sleeping in the garage with the "wild life" that lives in there if I started a conversation with " Hey... You'll never guess what I've just bought from Mike at the club today, and it only cost Four and a half grand"......

Cheers
Dr.Z

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple of things....
When was the SS Python introduced and discontinued?
I've been checking out sites selling guns and the SS Pythons appear to sell for more than the Blue... Why is this?
Also found this aid to dating serial No's on my travels (for those who haven't seen it).....
Serial Number Data

Cheers
Dr.Z

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Stainless pythons were introduced towards the end of 1982 ... basically the high K series (~K90xxx +) of 1982 and the T series which started in 1983.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Dr_Zoidberg. None of my business but following opinions are based on over 30 years of collecting, dealing and shooting in pistol clubs.

Since joining this forum I have observed there is a massive interest in collecting "snake guns" in the U S of A with corresponding high prices.

This side of the big pond there is very little collecting interest in Pythons and they are predominantly used as target pistols and priced accordingly. The vast majority of revolver shooters here use S&W's and demand for Pythons has never been high in my experience. As a collector I own over 30 Colts, none of which are "snakes" although I have a Diamondback (cost about $500) for target shooting.

Some enterprising vendors are monitoring US prices and trying to apply those prices here. Buyers at inflated prices may well get their fingers burnt when/if re-selling. Unless NZ is different to Aust?

Just my 2 cents worths and no offence to anyone is intended.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 2 serial Numbers are : -
PY60##
and
T702##.
And I can't find any dates on the web for these prefix serials apart from T7##### is probably going to be 1986(?)... maybe?

The SS one hasn't got a mark on it and looks as new as the unfired blued one.
This guy really does look after his firearms.

Thanks
Dr.Z

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most deffo Stainless Steel.
As for buy them both... nice idea.... but I refer you to an earlier post of mine on this very subject
I'm not sure I can get that much cash together to buy both....
And it would also mean Deaf and Dumb breakfasts for a couple of months and several weeks of sleeping in the garage with the "wild life" that lives in there if I started a conversation with " Hey... You'll never guess what I've just bought from Mike at the club today, and it only cost Four and a half grand"......
Cheers
Dr.Z

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.