Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6" nickel Python (which I dearly love, I might add), and I have a couple of questions...

a) Is there such a thing as replacement sights which will add a red or orange ramp to the front and a white outline to the rear? I just can't bring myself to use sight paint on a Python.

and

b) I just got done reading Bill Jordan's classic "No Second Place Winner", and I've decided I just have to put a set of Jordan Trooper stocks on it. Herrets sells them online, and they are custom fit to your hand. Has anyone used these before?

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes and no. I've admired Herret's stocks/grips for years.The Jordan troopers are of the design by Bill J., which is great ... they're very fast into action and provide uniform grip, which is what we're after, BUT, Bill J. was like John Wayne size and had HUGE hands. Sometimes this screws up the practicality of the grip. For men with very large hands that want to get fast and sure with the wheelgun, I think they'd be great. Anything from Herret's will be good stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

Awhile ago I purchased a four inch Python. I sent it in to the Colt shop and they installed a red ramp, wider hammer and adjusted the trigger, within specs, lighter, and royal blued the whole thing. The price was not bad either. The gun was made in 1978 and they didn't have them then. I was very happy with the work. My suggestion: call Colt and get an estimate-the number is toll free.

A few months ago, I read the article in Combat handguns about Herrett Stocks and ordered a pair of Jordan Troopers with finger grooves. I am expecting them about May 1. http://www.herrett-stocks.com/trprfngr.htm

They are made exactly to fit the butt of the gun and are brass pined. I have a very nice pair of American Elk grips that unscrewed with the second speedloader at the range.

I am looking forward to the Herrett's, although I have no experience with them. They have been good to deal with on the phone and appear to be the last of a dying breed: American Craftsmen. With the grips my project Python will be finished.

Good luck with yours,

Joe O'Rourke

------------------
Joe O'Rourke

[This message has been edited by maj_orourke (edited 03-24-2005).]

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've used Herrett's checkered Detective Model grips on several Colt and S&W revolvers for 20+ years, and think they are great. Herrett's hand-fitting means they will fit you well.

My hands just aren't big enough for the Jordan style grips.

Many years ago I met Bill Jordan at an NRA event. He was a really big dude, with huge mitts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jerry,

I was concerned about the grips being "too big," for my hands, but spoke with the people at Herritts. When you order the grips, they have you send a detailed tracing of your hand, with thumb and trigger finger spread. They build the "stock" to your measurement. I am not sure how they could be more individually fitted and still be affordable. (They are NOT inexpensive.)

I should have them in a month and will post my impressions, but, so far, Herritts seem to be a class act. (Comparably, I waited 18 months for my "Novak" HighPower, so time is relative.)

Best wishes,

Joe O'Rourke

·
Registered
24 Posts
You'll enjoy your new Herrett Jordan Trooper stocks. I have them on a lot of my revolvers and consider them the best investment made on a gun that will be used. Every time I have dealt with the wonderful people at Herrett's I have come away happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts