Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should know this answer, I was going to by some extra mags, do all 7 rd mags work in in my series 80 colt? 2nd question I was told if I shoot this gun a lot I should use shock buffers. it will be a ball ammo gun. thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
1. Most 7 round mags are for the commander or defender size guns. If you have the full size 1911 you should have the 8 round magazine standard. Series 80 has to do with the firing pin safety (It has one). A series 70 has no firing pin safety.

2. I don't recommend the shock buffer. IMO they are not needed if you maintain your weapon. By that I mean after 5K rounds change the recoil spring(s) and you will never have an issue with that weapon. The shock buffers tend to break up in pieces over time and will cause stoppages.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
The Commander and Government Model both have full length frames and use the same magazine. The Defender / Officers ACP / Compact use the shorter Officers length.
A good magazine to get is the Colt 7 round with the GI flat follower and Hybrid feed lips. Check-Mate, Metalform, supply most of Colt's magazines. The 8 round Colt magazine is made by Check-Mate and uses the Check-Mate follower, this is also a good magazine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am very happy with the new (?) flat wire recoil springs, even if they do have a strange sound to them. However, you do have to also change to a skinnier recoil spring guide. About $20 for the initial kit (spring and guide) and then $10 for the springs. The advertised service of the flat spring is 40,000 rounds. You can order them from Brownell's or Wilson Combat. I do not like the buffers, but some do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree with what others have said re the buffers, they tend to break apart and gum up the gun, I never use them.

As for magazines 7-8 rounds whichever you prefer, personally I use Chip McCormick 8 rounders in my guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Many millions of 1911 style pistols worked fine with seven round magazines before someone figured out he could stuff one more round in the magazine. When I am shooting I only load 5 rounds anyway.
All my 1911 pistols are the Full Size frame and I do the exact same thing "JohnnyP" stated above. Loading five rounds is easy to keep up with, LOL!

When I was into Combat Shooting, I did use the 8 round mags since I wanted the 1 extra round in the magazine. But even when I carry a 1911 I only put 7 rounds in the magazine. I figure if I need more than 7 rounds, I should not have been in that place anyway, LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts