Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I'll take two.

Wouldn't this be a great show for the History Channel or NatGeo? Reminds me of the stories my generation told of the surlpus WWII US Army Jeeps advertised in the backs of magazines for near nothing. Never found one of those.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I wonder if they are complete with machine guns? I would assume so.
What kind of machine guns were installed in a Spitfire?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Spits were armed with a variety of machine guns and cannons. First there were three or, more common, four .303 cal. Brownings in each wing. Then there were those that had one .50 cal. Browning and one 20mm cannon in each wing. The latest versions seemed to have two 20mm cannon in each wing.

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
This reminds me of a story my uncle told me about his time on Amchitca Island in the Aleutians during nuclear testing there in the late 60's or early 70's. There was an old base there from WWII and in one of the quanset huts they found brand new P-40 Warhawks still in the crates. Don't know what became of them though....

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
That is pretty cool - Those were one of my favorite planes as a kid. It reminds me of a story a friend told me about his Uncle. They were driving supply trucks through occupied germany. They found in a factory 15 wooden crates filled with new production Lugers. They loaded them in the truck. Late down the road they come to a winery ----- Long story short - Lugers get dumped in a river to make room for the wine !!!! So somewhere in a river in Germany is a number of wooden crates full of new Lugers - or whats left of them by now.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That is pretty cool - Those were one of my favorite planes as a kid. It reminds of a story a friend told me about his Uncle. They were driving supply trucks through occupied germany. They found in a factory 15 wooden crates filled with new production Lugers. They loaded them in the truck. Late down the road they come to a winery ----- Long story short - Lugers get dumped in a river to make room for the wine !!!! So somewhere in a river in Germany is a number of wooden crates full of new Lugers - or whats left of them by now.
Heck a guy has to have priorities!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That is pretty cool - Those were one of my favorite planes as a kid. It reminds of a story a friend told me about his Uncle. They were driving supply trucks through occupied germany. They found in a factory 15 wooden crates filled with new production Lugers. They loaded them in the truck. Late down the road they come to a winery ----- Long story short - Lugers get dumped in a river to make room for the wine !!!! So somewhere in a river in Germany is a number of wooden crates full of new Lugers - or whats left of them by now.
that is a story i did not need to here LOL

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Wow, I hope they find them, get them home, & get them flying.
The Spit was a very nice aircraft. I think I read once that one of the ranking German Officers was asked what he'd like to win the Battle of Britton, he said I should like a squadron of Spitfires, I think it made him unpopular?
Frank

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When you hear that Merlin engine at full chat it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Rio

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Wow...I'll be looking forward to more news on this.

Truck Lagoon got endless things 'dumped' into it at the War's end...Airplanes, Jeeps, Trucks, Stationary Machinery, you name it, mostly new, but even if not, it all was instantly no longer worth ferrying home.

Eeeeeeeesh...

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
When you hear that Merlin engine at full chat it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Rio
Absolutely...

Even to this day, anyone, anywhere on Earth, from Babys to the most elderly, will look up with interest and admiration, in hearing a healthy Propeller Aeroplane approaching or already above.

While, pretty well no one, anywhere, could care about bothering to look up at a 'Jet' unless it was really coming in 'low' or sounding like it was about to crash...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.