Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the new colts up to snuff? they are having a sale on the saa 45 with 7 1/2 inch barrel and can be orederd for less than a grand from the custom dept with a ffl.. please state what you belive the up to date shipments quality is.. thanks dave....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've read several articles by Mike Venturino who states that the latter 3rd generation SAAs are some of the best ever quality put out by Colt. My 1997 vintage .44-40 bears this out. If I was looking for a 7 1/2" .45, I'd take the gamble for that price without looking at the gun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For a while quality had slipped on the SAA. But the ones I`ve seen for the last couple of years have been a lot better.
But are they good enough to justify the price they bring these days? I`m not so sure.
If you just have to have the Colt name on it, go for it.
But I`d say the the SAA made by US Firearms (in the original Colt factory no less) are better quality and more authentic than the ones currently made by Colt.
US Firearms makes different grades of SAAs. The cheap one, called the Rodeo, isn`t bad at all, and a good value for the price tag. But their high end SAA is pure excellence. I`ve seen 3 of them in the last couple of months. Fit and finish isn`t just excellent, it`s perfect on the ones I`ve seen. Not a single minor flaw to be found and a very nice slick action.
Got the chance to shoot one of them 3 weeks ago, and they shoot as good as they look.
The high end guns are not cheap. Price tags are not as high as Colts you normally see for sale. But getting right up there. But the quality is good enough that I`d say they are a better value than currently made Colts.
If you are just going to buy it and display it, the Colt will probably hold or increase it`s value more. But if you want and excellent SAA to shoot, I`d take a look at US Firearms before plunking down the cash for a Colt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts