Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have know about this for a little while and maybe other forum members also? So here it is...i own a few late 3rd Gen SAA and they are beautiful guns indeed fit and finish on mine are wonderful all in the custom shop blue box and white sleeve and cost me under 2k by a few hundred dollars or more. So having wanted to order a NEW 2019 custom shop gun i from time to time ask someone at Colt and get the answer no new Custom shop SAA maybe down the road. Well now the GOOD & THE BAD, Colt is now taking custom shop orders thats good right? Base custom shop SAA Pricing as in a 45,357, 44-40 with plastic grips is......drum roll $3,450 it gets better i wanted one in 32-20 with bulls-eye ejector rod walnut grips and 4.75 barrel price for that is.... $4,500 (Crazy right) So i ask whats so special about the custom shop Colt compared to the blue plastic box Colt . The answer the custom shop guns get more attention and are hand assembled by a master gunsmith and also polished by the same with a tuned action and just like the all the other SAA guns they are sent off to Turnbull for CCH. So i was on the fence about ordering one then i came to my senses $4,500 for a gun that would look IMHO not much better then any of my other late gen 3 guns.... $4,500 ! The base gun price is ridiculous considering you can by a STD MFG for 2k or have a wide choice of used or NOS Colt saa in the 1,600-2400 range. I cam across a NF newly made in the custom shop on GB listed at just under 4,500 look at it tell me thats worth 4,500? I have one of the first New frontiers from 2013 when they Started making them again and its beautiful... how is this one worth double or more,, here is a link to that auction anyone going to buy that when there are other NIB 2019 NF for like $1,700 out there.... glad i got that off my chest. Oh and talk of the New Python on the forums today will they be $7,000 or more?

PS: The auction does say it took three years to get so .... assuming Colt changed pricing to reflect 2019 prices? Hmmmm....i see another Cimarron with USA finish in my future.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812498378

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Dang! I’ll sell you an unfired custom shop 44/40 with factory ivory and a black powder frame for a whole lot less!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I wonder if the custom shop guns being delivered right now and in the near future are sticking to the original order prices?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was like... are they polishing these guns with ground up Unicorn horns & fairy dust .....and are the Master Gunsmiths Wizards . My head is still spinning...Yahoody thats a good question but look at the price for the NF almost $4,500 who would buy it at that price makes you think the dealer has allot into it to put it at that price to begin with.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang! I’ll sell you an unfired custom shop 44/40 with factory ivory and a black powder frame for a whole lot less!
Hearse after i got my price from them ....i went right to GB i could get an engraved gun cheaper or one like you stated above.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Hearse after i got my price from them ....i went right to GB i could get an engraved gun cheaper or one like you stated above.
Of course ! They must be trying to make up for the frame recall fiasco !

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Have to admit I didn't think Colt would/could do any thing that would surprise me. But $3450?! :bang_wall: What the heck are they smoking. I would have ordered a new gun or two but no way in hell I'd pay that kind of money for a base gun....nope, nada, never. As in a cold day in hell. I ain't gonna do it. I'd buy another Standard first...and already had one and sold it. Didn't think it was worth $2K. I can do lot with a $1000 Rodeo and another $1K to throw at it.

For $9K I can still get a fully engraved pair of Colts with nice grips if I was careful.

I have to wonder where all this leaves guys like Bighipiron and their custom shop guns about to be delivered shortly.

At those prices I'd bet the "SAA custom shop" will be out of business again in less than 2 years.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well one more thing i didn't tell .... before he gave me the shocking price i asked "HOW LONG" gritted teeth waiting for the answer as always 18-24 months, i was told not too long i can get it to you in Ninety days...WHAT! Man i wanted to order me up two nice 32-20 guns but 9k for two my wife would divorce me.... i shoot my guns so these would be shot on day one.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
It appears to me that Colt is trying to discourage Custom Shop orders with those prices!

Re: that GB New Frontier, when I add up the costs for the 4 custom shop features: target hammer, Long grip, chamfered cyl and royal blue finish, (~ $12-1500) that still leaves the gun about $1000 over a standard NF price!

·
Registered
318 Posts
One can only reach the conclusion that Colt is trying harder than ever to get out of the SAA business. It saddens me (all of us!) greatly.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will not say who i spoke to .... someone in the custom shop.... the site still says only 1911 orders only. They will update that sometime this summer i was told and put up a new SAA custom shop order form like they use to have. Below is from an email i received.

Here is the breakdown:

Base Price for Custom Shop SAA - $3450.00
Two Piece Walnut Grips - $300.00
Extra Long Back Strap - $625.00
Bullseye ejector rod - $125.00
Blue/Case Colored Finish

The price for the .44-40 with these options would be the same.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Colt New Frontier, the red headed stepchild of the Colt family. They only made it to try to compete with the Rugers of the day. Colt seems to be leaning towards the PT Barnum school of thought. Problem is this will make every Tom, Dick, and Harry think these price points are acceptable. And I can get nicer walnut for $20 that will let me make 3 sets of grips.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts