Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
Have a chance to pickup a new 2020 Python in the next month. Can someone explain to me what the actual issues were on the first batch of guns? I am looking to use and shoot this gun a lot and to get many years of enjoyment out of it. Have those who have received and shot them had great experiences? I understand my question is kind of broad, but I am curious to see what the community thinks!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There were a couple issues on some new Pythons...not even a majority from most reports. Some had poor machining on the muzzle crown...some had loose screws...some would have occasional misfires with certain brand ammunition rounds...some would not advance the cylinder. The problems have supposedly been addressed and corrected by Colt. There may still be some not yet corrected. None of these problems should have happened but they did and from all reports Colt is stepping up and making things right.

I have one of the new 6" Pythons...extraordinary revolver as it's extremely accurate and looks great with no quality control issues at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Premium Member
7,372 Posts
Two main issues. The first being a mostly visual- aesthetics thing with the muzzle crown. Small pits/dings right around the inner crown. The second was a functional issue with intermittently the cylinder did not advance properly. Colt has recognized and addressed the issues to fix the affected units and correct issues with forward production.
Muzzle issue. Colt either polished out or replaced the barrel , depending on what was required to correct .
Cylinder advance issue. Action parts were replaced. I was told by customer service that it was transfer bar and hand.

The reports on repaired pythons and new and most recently acquired pythons have been good with no issues.

With the recent worldly situation and just about everything put on pause, I would not turn down a chance to purchase one at msrp or less.

At the moment, stock is not meeting demand by any stretch, and thusly street value is much more than MSRP on gunbroker and auction sites. You could buy it, shoot it, and sell it for a decent profit if you don’t like it if purchase price was right around msrp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is what it is, overpriced by 2 fold if it did work as intended. On top of being grossly overpriced they are shipping with screws missing reason being is that the screws are designed entirely out of spec as seen in the fact that they all walk out by Browninan motion while just sitting in the safe. Eventually every one of the few large chain stocking dealers (the only way to buy one) will have 2 sitting in the case and 3 more in the back, they will be a very slow seller at $1259 and sitting for 3 months increments still.

·
Premium Member
7,372 Posts
The good news.. the places that sell the toilet paper don’t sell the handgun ammo anymore and vice versa. The not so good news.. momma grabbed the toilet paper.. daddy grabbed up the handgun ammo. Eventually the toilet paper will get used. I would be willing to bet a Benjamin that many man caves were still stocked up and hoarded from the gun panic of 2012-2013. Still. 9mm was the prize I hear. I’ve seen 38spl still.
Check ammoseek.com and search your desired caliber. That will tell you the current situation of the gotta get it nation.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It is what it is, overpriced by 2 fold if it did work as intended. On top of being grossly overpriced they are shipping with screws missing reason being is that the screws are designed entirely out of spec as seen in the fact that they all walk out by Browninan motion while just sitting in the safe. Eventually every one of the few large chain stocking dealers (the only way to buy one) will have 2 sitting in the case and 3 more in the back, they will be a very slow seller at $1259 and sitting for 3 months increments still.
Well you know what they say about opinions from those who do not have one:) some people do not have enough to do except read on internet forums. I have 3 a 6 and 2, 4.25's all no issues. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check ammoseek.com and hopefully things start coming back in stock sooner rather than later. Very excited to hear all the positive feedback! Can’t wait to get mine and shoot it!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well you know what they say about opinions from those who do not have one:) some people do not have enough to do except read on internet forums. I have 3 a 6 and 2, 4.25's all no issues. :)
Sure, I am dreaming of one. I am just angry that I don't have one. Wow, that was liberating to write. I was lost and now I am found out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hahahahaha!!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
You just have to keep looking. I've asked a few large retailers and several smaller gun shops here in Houston, and they all say the same thing. They have paid orders waiting on guns. They get one or two every now and then, but no real inventory yet. And the questions about availability are almost daily. Trust me, people want them just as much as some hate them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bought 6" version in January. No issues and over 500 rounds through the gun. Absolute tack driver and can't wait to buy the 4.25 version next. Some guns of initial production run had issues

1. Muzzle crown imperfections/burring
2. Loose screws
3. Cylinder rotation

None of those issues were experienced with my firearm. Conduct your own inspection and buy with confidence. It is a darn fine revolver!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts

Please explain to me how the screws can walk out by Brownian motion. I thought that had to do with fluids. I am not being a smart A$$, just want to learn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I respectfully disagree about them being overpriced at retail. I would also be very surprised if they are selling slow for $1,259 in 3 months or less. My guess is it will take 6 months to a year at best to be able to find them at $1,500.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts