Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
When I had my new Python I paid $1340 for was transferred in to my LGS, they looked up their cost (if they could find one) and said cost to them would have been $1280. What you heard sounds correct.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My dealer told me his cost was $1275 so figure sub $1300 for dealers. And like with the Cobras and King Cobras the prices will come down once the initial demand is met. When you see what people are paying for them on auction sites $500/1000 over MSRP you have to wonder. I too can sometimes be impulsive like when Beretta came out with their 92X Performance I had to have one so I paid MSRP online. I will do the same with the new Python sells for MSRP. I know it will probably take awhile but on the upside all the bugs should be worked out by then.

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
The markup on new guns sold at MSRP isn't nearly as much as many believe. The same goes for new cars and gasoline. Selling at full MSRP gives cash flow but won't really keep you in business. The profit is in used guns, cars or whatever where the costs are better controlled by the retailer.

A friend owned a gas station...he said a tanker of gasoline costs roughly $25k...his gross (not net) profit on the $25k is about $600...again it's cash flow but won't keep him in business unless he sells a huge volume of gas. His real profit is in repairs and sales from the office area...soda, snacks, etc.

Owning and running a business is much tougher than many believe. You work your tail off only to see much of it go to the government and other costs of doing business. If you succeed...more power to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I lucked out and got one in mid Feb. off the net for what one locally is going for just below MSRP and tax. My ejector rod was slightly bent. Easy fix. One loose screw. Other then that I am very happy with mine. The rest of the fit and finish is perfect. I would say if you can get one for MSRP or less this year buy it. No doubt its at the high end of premium revolver prices but the Python has always been at the high end. I also believe with the current production methods used fixing any future issues ( parts replacement) will not be as difficult as the legacy pythons. Mine is as accurate or better shooting off hand as any I have. I have not benched it. Double action is right at 8 lbs and any initial stacking I had went away quickly. I actually kind of liked it but its gone. Single action ~ 4 lbs 6 ozs. No creep. If your where to buy a S&W 686 and had the exterior polished similar to a new python and have someone lighten and polish the action to match the new Python, you would pay a similar price in my opinion and it would not have the Classic look and feel of a real Colt Python. Nothing wrong with a 686 or GP100. The people that have seen it and handled it all agreed its a Python. Some where strangers and some are current owners of Pythons (Buddies). Some used them in their previous line of work. For the record this is my first Python and I plan on at least one more. Anything I buy is a shooter. Future prices for the new Python. I have no ideal.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I bought one in mid-February or so I guess. I got it at a local, non-chain dealer. I just walked in one evening and asked one of the guys who work there if they had one. Somewhat to my surprise, they did. Price was MSRP at $1499.00 plus tax. I hesitated about 15 seconds before saying "I'll take it." If it had been a 4" model, it wouldn't have taken that long. I now have just over 800 rounds, most of the 357 through it.

Problems. I encountered the "cylinder failed to advance" problem while shooting at about 500 rounds. Examination revealed that the two sideplate screws on the left side had come loose. Two minutes with a screwdriver took care of the problem and it hasn't come back since (I check after each range session now).

I have also had a few "light strikes" with my reloads. Not enough to alarm me or worry me. For one thing the only place I shoot this gun is at the range. If it misfires, no big deal. I've also had the same problem with this ammo with Smith and Wesson revolvers. I've changed brands of primers on the next batch to see if that helps. If I can ever get back to the range (they're closed now...the virus thing you understand) that is.

I'm quite happy with it. I'm a Smith and Wesson guy at heart, but this Colt impresses me. It has become my favorite gun hands down. I don't carry it. It's not a self-defense gun. I'm not going zombie hunting with it. It's just a long range paper hole puncher.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bought one in mid-February or so I guess. I got it at a local, non-chain dealer. I just walked in one evening and asked one of the guys who work there if they had one. Somewhat to my surprise, they did. Price was MSRP at $1499.00 plus tax. I hesitated about 15 seconds before saying "I'll take it." If it had been a 4" model, it wouldn't have taken that long. I now have just over 800 rounds, most of the 357 through it.

Problems. I encountered the "cylinder failed to advance" problem while shooting at about 500 rounds. Examination revealed that the two sideplate screws on the left side had come loose. Two minutes with a screwdriver took care of the problem and it hasn't come back since (I check after each range session now).

I have also had a few "light strikes" with my reloads. Not enough to alarm me or worry me. For one thing the only place I shoot this gun is at the range. If it misfires, no big deal. I've also had the same problem with this ammo with Smith and Wesson revolvers. I've changed brands of primers on the next batch to see if that helps. If I can ever get back to the range (they're closed now...the virus thing you understand) that is.

I'm quite happy with it. I'm a Smith and Wesson guy at heart, but this Colt impresses me. It has become my favorite gun hands down. I don't carry it. It's not a self-defense gun. I'm not going zombie hunting with it. It's just a long range paper hole puncher.
Purple lock-tite the screws. It is what the factory does. I have 2 that need it done the other was already done at the factory.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I take it the blue 6" is the one most people are after. The few LGS I spoke with suggested paying up front as they have waitlists with no real ETAs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
Trigger pull on my guns in single action is 3.8, 4.3 and 3.4lbs, per the Wheeler. Not quite as good as my custom revolvers tried one of my Gemini's and it was 2.3lbs. Still for a factory gun pretty good.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Purple lock-tite the screws. It is what the factory does. I have 2 that need it done the other was already done at the factory.
I've got the stuff to do it, but I'm not going to fool with it unless it happens again. I've been keeping a close eye on them.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Here is MY general question - what’s not to like ?
Just saying the two words for the last sixty + years
says a whole lot for anyone who knows any DA revolver

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
You and Snidely are correct. I currently own a small business in Seattle. Margins are thin and rent and taxes are high. My landlord and employees get almost all of the gross profit. The gross margins on new guns are quite thin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Please explain to me how the screws can walk out by Brownian motion. I thought that had to do with fluids. I am not being a smart A$$, just want to learn.
You are correct. Brownian motion is the thermally driven collisions of molecules in liquids and gasses. While oysterer may not be scientifically accurate- it got big chuckles with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm just wondering when production will catch up with demand. I would have thought the supply would have been better at release.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I have a 4.25 on order as a gift to my wife. I have been promised by my LGS that my price would be 10% above his cost. Both my wife and myself shot an older model Python years ago and found it to be the smoothest revolver that we had ever shot. I can't wait for our gun to come in - at $1499.00, or whatever.
It is what it is, overpriced by 2 fold if it did work as intended. On top of being grossly overpriced they are shipping with screws missing reason being is that the screws are designed entirely out of spec as seen in the fact that they all walk out by Browninan motion while just sitting in the safe. Eventually every one of the few large chain stocking dealers (the only way to buy one) will have 2 sitting in the case and 3 more in the back, they will be a very slow seller at $1259 and sitting for 3 months increments still.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Colt Video

Hey Guys!
Have a chance to pickup a new 2020 Python in the next month. Can someone explain to me what the actual issues were on the first batch of guns? I am looking to use and shoot this gun a lot and to get many years of enjoyment out of it. Have those who have received and shot them had great experiences? I understand my question is kind of broad, but I am curious to see what the community thinks!!!
here’s a video from American rifleman about early Python issues.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/2/21/colt-addresses-python-issues-in-new-video/

21 - 40 of 42 Posts