Colt Forum banner

2020 Python 6" is back in stock

7K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  dfletcher 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got an email from Hinterland Outfitters, saying the 2020 Python 6" model is back in stock. I went to their website and it's available BUT the price is $2,299. Wow, what a deal ... $800 over Colt's published MSRP. I sent them an email telling them "No thanks". I guess Hinterland Outfitters has adopted the pricing model of other price gouging retailers.

#5 ·
For the record, the Hinterland Outfitters price when the 2020 Python was originally released was $1,402.50. It's very sad how this retailer is trying to take advantage of their customers in this situation. I will never purchase anything from them.

#8 ·
If people are buying them at $2300, it's just simple supply and demand. MSRP is just that. Retailers can either sell a few guns at a big markup, or lots at a low markup...but Colt isn't supplying them with lots of guns. Econ 101 stuff. Sucks if you want a Python, just wait until some slack develops. I don't know much about their manufacturing capacity, but Colt clearly is no Ruger or S&W, either of which can flood a distribution channel pretty quick and you almost never see such a huge supply/demand difference.

Price gouging really only applies to essentials in emergencies or for life-or-death gotta-have-it goods like the EpiPen scandal. If this retailer offers a Python in six months for $1499, and lo and behold they're the only game in town at that price, I think we'd order, right?

Having said all this, I haven't ordered from CTD since 2011, but more over their canceling of existing orders just to sell the same products at inflated prices. That's dishonest. Selling products for the market price might tick people off, but it's not dishonest.

#9 ·
I think the best option is to find an older used Python. I found a 1961 4 inch and after examination it proved to be in good shape. it had handeling marks and a little holster wear but cost $1500. I think its a fair trade off not perfect but I'm happy with the craftmanship of a older build. Looks and shoots great. not new but I'm fine with that.

#12 ·
It's just supply and demand. For me I'll wait. Prices will come down on them as more become available. The last 3 months the 4" were easy to find at MSRP if you knew where to look. The 6" will do the same later this year. These are Colts and they are not Cheap at MSRP $1499. Their isnt 500,000 people willing to spend this on a handgun like there is for a $600 pistol. After the Deep pocket guys and the flippers get theirs, Supply will over take them and you'll have a bunch of $1800+ 2020 Pythons on GB with no bids. Just like the 4" ones are now. The Super Prime serial numbers are gone already so why not just wait them out.

#15 ·
If a dealer sells a new Python at $1500 and the buyer can sell it on GunBroker for $2500, should the dealer be required to sell the gun for $1500 instead of $2500? Where is the free market? If you buy a new Python for $1500 and suddenly need the money, should you be required to sell it for $1500 instead of $2500?

I understand the complaint of making a deal for a certain price and then the seller upping the price once the gun arrives, but when a dealer receives a new Python for stock, it seems silly to me that the dealer should leave $1000 on the table. Any time I sell a gun, I try to get as much as I can for it. Doesn't everyone? How is that different?

#16 ·
Myself and a friend ordered ours January 3rd or 4th. I received mine last month, he has still not received his. We both paid $1,499 with tax came out to a little over $1,600. I watch gun auctions to see what serial number they are up to? What I don't like seeing are dealers that could be selling their lot of guns to their best customers, instead are placing them on gun auctions to try and get $2,200! What is funny many are not getting any bids which is great. Like someone said I will not buy from a gouger.

#17 · (Edited)
For those of you looking for a 6" Python, if you don't mind paying $ 400 over MSRP, Gilbert's Guns has them in stock online. That's not as high as on Gunbroker, but still a considerable markup. I think I will continue to wait for prices to come down a bit, but if you can't wait, here's your chance. In stock as of 10 minutes ago. Good luck deciding.

#18 ·
For the naysayers here how do you feel about markups on premium limited cars?
I recently sold a 2020 Shelby Gt500. Our store put a $15,000 adjusted market price addendum on it. Price was $92k. Was a simple phone call. Man who works for a collector called in and asked me if it was actually in stock and on the lot. I said yes and he said ‘ok, I’ll take it.’ Short time later payment in full was wired in and he sent a flatbed to pick the car up. I’ve also sold foreign premium cars with addendums on them for even more. If you want it you’ll pay. If not than somebody else will. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

#19 ·
Many moons ago I worked at a Dodge dealership. They got in a Viper with fewer than 1,000 miles on it, so it was technically used and the dealership could set whatever price they wanted. Things being what they were, they put a sticker $20,000 over MSRP on a new one and it sold within a week. Nearly all Vipers (at least back then) were special order, limited run and if you didn't get your name in the hat, you were SOL. Dealerships merely acted as middlemen and didn't make much on the transaction. You never see new Vipers parked out near the street with balloons and crap hanging off of them!

#22 ·
Congrats! I have yet to see any new Python in a retail setting here. If it wasn't for finding a distributor back in January I'd still be panting for one.

Reactions: Kraaaken
#26 ·
I agree that who ever posses these guns is totally within their right to charge whatever they want for them. I am also totally within my right to pass it up too! As I stated in my first post, it just tells me who I don't want to give my business to! I wouldn't pay anything over MSRP and my patience paid off when I took a 4.25" Python home for $1497 total.

#31 ·
I was in a LGS just yesterday and they actually had a 6 inch in the display case for $1.5K. They said they had gotten several in but all in 6 inch. A little over a month ago they got several in which were all 4.25 inch and they were selling those for $1.5K also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.