Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to work reloads up to the original .357 round (158 gr at 1500 fps). I'm worried about blowing my cylinder. Does anyone have data on what the recommended and upper limits are for cylinder pressure?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I'm trying to work reloads up to the original .357 round (158 gr at 1500 fps). I'm worried about blowing my cylinder. Does anyone have data on what the recommended and upper limits are for cylinder pressure?

You may want to look over some of these loads, they have some fast burning magnum powders and I would caution against trying to exceed the loads for these. The VMD allows the program I have to set the setting for the powders. The settings are for Lee Powder Measures. I hope this helps.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 744042

You may want to look over some of these loads, they have some fast burning magnum powders and I would caution against trying to exceed the loads for these. The VMD allows the program I have to set the setting for the powders. The settings are for Lee Powder Measures. I hope this helps.

Al
This definitely helps me out. I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I may not understand the question but I'm not sure why anyone would want to flirt with the pressure limits of a handgun, or any gun for that matter. The Python was (is) built to safely withstand SAMMI spec ammo and published reloading data. Getting close to pressure limits sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may not understand the question but I'm not sure why anyone would want to flirt with the pressure limits of a handgun, or any gun for that matter. The Python was (is) built to safely withstand SAMMI spec ammo and published reloading data. Getting close to pressure limits sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
I guess some context would give a little more understanding. I want to get a load based on the results I'm trying to achieve and still stay way below pressure limits. Knowing the limit I can try to stay at least 30% below that margin so I don't have to worry if the rounds are gonna blow the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I guess some context would give a little more understanding. I want to get a load based on the results I'm trying to achieve and still stay way below pressure limits. Knowing the limit I can try to stay at least 30% below that margin so I don't have to worry if the rounds are gonna blow the cylinder.
Strange statement.... How long have you been reloading might I ask? From what I have seen from your posts you need to do a lot of reading on this subject.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I can tell you, I would NOT load 22 hrs of H-110 behind a 158 gr. Bullet in a Python. You best speak to a Ballistician at Hodgkin before you hurt yourself or someone else.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Once you know the gun's pressure limit how will you determine your load pressure? Copper crush or strain gauge?
That was kind of my point. Without proper testing equipment, how will you know when to stop? A little more...a little more...just a little more...oops, to much and I need a new gun and some stitches.
A quick glance at the Speer #12 Reloading Manual list a max load of 15.5gr of H110 for 1217fps with a 158gr jacketed bullet. The fastest load listed with a 158gr jacketed bullet is 1253fps with 15.0gr of Viht. N110. The fastest load listed is 1693fps with a 110gr bullet and 20gr of Viht. N110.
A steady diet of any of those loads will beat a Python to death in short order. If you insist of trying to get a 158gr bullet to travel 1500fps, use a stronger gun like a Freedom Arms or a Ruger Redhawk.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I can tell you, I would NOT load 22 hrs of H-110 behind a 158 gr. Bullet in a Python. You best speak to a Ballistician at Hodgkin before you hurt yourself or someone else.
Glad I looked it up again - thanks The max for H110 is 16.7 grains at 1592 Velocity. That is what this forum is about, again thank you. I was looking at the 41 magnum at the time I think and that is why I made that mistake. While not an excuse, I haven't loaded H110 in the 357, but I would have verified it first as I do for all of my loads.

Al

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Regarding the original 158 grain bullet at
1,500 feet per second, I assume the OP
is talking about the 1930s load.

That load was using an 8-inch barreled
Smith and lead bullets, NOT JACKETED.
Barrel leading was very prominent.

Jacketed bullets increase pressures.

He mentions staying 30 per
cent below max loadings; that I really
don't understand.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I wouldn't be so concerned about numbers since none of us have the test equipment of manufacturers.
I always look for the age old, tried and proven method of monitoring for excess pressure like hard extraction and flattened primers.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Playing the velocity game is a recipe for much worse than a few stitches. Think about holding a frag grenade after you pull the pin. Same result.
I hope you follow a recent manual and stay away from max loads. If you want more speed, buy a .357 Maximum off the used market. The Python isn’t made to stand up to max loads. Few guns are.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Some people just have to learn the hard way. If you need more power, buy a more powerful gun, rather than trying shaving safety margins to make your gun more powerful. And you're never goin to turn a .357 into a Maximum, so why even go there?

It's not about just containing the pressure, but the gun is designed with a safety margin to account for "shit happens", like water in the cylinder or bore during a rainy day, an over-pressure cartridge, minor barrel obstructions; etc.

If there is anything that has been learned in the pizeo-electric era of pressure testing... It is that "pressure signs" show up when you're way over pressure, not when you're "getting there". You can't rely on the classic "pressure signs".

And there are no free lunches. If you can't find a 158 grain modern published load that hits 1,500fps, that's because it's not freaking safe to do... yeah, it's just that simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SAAMI max for the .357 is 35,000 PSI, and you won’t get close to 1,500 fps and stay under that, much less 30%.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts