Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing mixed reviews on these - one new owner stated that his wouldn't fire in DA and Colt has said to send it back. Others have said that these are great guns. I've asked in several posts (across three forums): what makes this new .357 worth MSRP of $1,499 vs a 686 at $833? I received one tiny response - that the price was comparable to S&W PC prices for similar revolvers. Excluding Colt-manufactured $$$ from the old Python name, is this new 2020 Python really worth double the price of a 686 based on quality and workmanship alone? I plan on buying a 4.25" when I can get one for MSRP, so I'm not being negative - just looking for answers.

·
Registered
914 Posts
When you get one in your hands and compare it to a current production revolver side by side then you will know something.Until then people generally enjoy pontificating their opinion based on others who are doing the same based on reading what others have written based on what who knows. :)

This is what makes it fun sorting through the chaff.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that you own one. I assume you own other modern productionn 357's. Are you going to tell us what gives it the extra MSRP dollars, are do we have to buy one to get such information? I realize that I can buy one and make my own determination, but I'm asking owners such as yourself to tell us your thoughts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The difference in someone who doesn't place vs a gold medalist in the Olympic 400 meter race is measured in a fraction of a second. It doesn't have to be twice as good to be twice the price.
In your example the difference in the race is a fraction of a second. I'm asking what makes the Python MSRP so much higher than other new .357's - what constitutes the "fraction of a second" in added 2020 Python worth?. This isn't a 'hater' saying the 2020 Python isn't worth it, and it isn't about 'S&W vs Colt' - pick a Ruger or another Colt if it makes the question more palatable. I'm just asking what makes the 2020 Python worth the extra MSRP bucks. As I said, I'm going to buy one, and it's based pretty much on BusaDave's enthusiasm, since he owns/owned three legacy Pythons and I own one as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Comparing the new Python side-by-side to the 686 & a newer 586 classic 6”, you can see where the extra money is.

Fit is superb. Finish vs the 686 is much better. Lockup is tighter. Brand markings look better. Trigger in both single action & double is on a whole ‘nother level.

Think about this, your $833 686 quickly becomes a $1200 revolver once you upgrade from those crappy rubber grips and pay for a trigger job (and it still won’t have as good a trigger).

Look man, S&W 686 has a lot of character, but a Colt Python has SOUL. Ain’t nothing like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In your example the difference in the race is a fraction of a second. I'm asking what makes the Python MSRP so much higher than other new .357's - what constitutes the "fraction of a second" in added 2020 Python worth?. This isn't a 'hater' saying the 2020 Python isn't worth it, and it isn't about 'S&W vs Colt' - pick a Ruger or another Colt if it makes the question more palatable. I'm just asking what makes the 2020 Python worth the extra MSRP bucks. As I said, I'm going to buy one, and it's based pretty much on BusaDave's enthusiasm, since he owns/owned three legacy Pythons and I own one as well.
From the reviews it seems like the DA trigger pull is all that...buttery smooth and consistent all the way through. I personally think its also the most beautiful, timeless and proportional revolver made in 6" barrel configuration. Factor in the history and heritage of arguably the most iconic firearms manufacturer in history with this being their flagship and you have the trifecta of looks, functionality and prestige.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Comparing the new Python side-by-side to the 686 & a newer 586 classic 6”, you can see where the extra money is.

Fit is superb. Finish vs the 686 is much better. Lockup is tighter. Brand markings look better. Trigger in both single action & double is on a whole ‘nother level.

Think about this, your $833 686 quickly becomes a $1200 revolver once you upgrade from those crappy rubber grips and pay for a trigger job (and it still won’t have as good a trigger).

Look man, S&W 686 has a lot of character, but a Colt Python has SOUL. Ain’t nothing like it.
I cant see because you didnt post any pics. Are you reading this from a book ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
“ what makes this new .357 worth MSRP of $1,499 vs a 686 at $833? ”

Seriously? I thought everyone knew the answer to this one: the Colt Python is, “that gun from the Walking Dead!” Jeez OP...

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I received my 2020 Python yesterday. Plan on shooting it this weekend.
You know how you hear all the hype about a movie and you walk in expecting greatness, and it’s good , but its like you’re too ready for it and it just didn’t do it for ya.

Well..... that’s is NOT .. NOT the case here with the 2020 Python .
Was expecting really really good, but I was expecting that it just wasn’t gonna compare to Ol papa bear Python .
Colt has achieved Python greatness. The trigger in single and DA is worth the msrp alone. Metal to metal fit and grip fit is perfect. How Colt is making these in standard production this good and remaining profitable in the expensive state of CT is an an amazing feat.
I’d love to have the back strap grooves like the legacy python.. but maybe fore going that kept the price down in the ballpark of competitive. I only mention this because I can’t find anything else to criticize.
This new Python is Rolls Royce performance that the average shooter can obtain.
Colt did it. They made a new Python that is worthy of the crown title of which it holds.
It’s like talking about a movie. You cant experience the this Python through words. Have to see this show for yourself.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
The Smiff & Weasel Model 586/686 series not initially developed to compete against the Python...that's more gun magazine hype due to the full length barrel rib and underlug. The 586/686 series was developed as a service sidearm to address the tendency of the K-frame revolvers to shoot loose with use of .357 Magnum ammunition. Upping the frame size and in general larger dimensions all round with metallurgical improvements accomplished that.

The true competition for the 586/686 was not the Python but the Ruger Security-Six and GP100 revolvers...similar size and price range. They were all service revolvers and competed in the same market. The Python...while sometimes used as a service revolver...was more aimed at a different market though I think Colt dropped the ball not pushing the service revolver potential...but Colt pretty much walked away from that market in the 1960s.

The Python was always in a class by itself...it's true competition was the other Colt .357 revolvers in the line as they had the same action until the introduction of the Mark III series in 1969.

I'm not criticizing the S&W offerings...they're excellent revolvers and in the hands of most shooters will shoot as well against the Colts...but they are not strictly in the same market...they compete in the Ruger market...or more accurately the Rugers compete in the S&W market.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
The main reason the New Python costs more:

Better looking finish (It almost looks polished)
Better grips
Better action feel
Being made by union workers, cost a whole lot more
Being taxed and charged fees almost to the point of extinction in Liberal Connecticut

Do you understand it now?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The main reason the New Python costs more:

Better looking finish (It almost looks polished)
Better grips
Better action feel
Being made by union workers, cost a whole lot more
Being taxed and charged fees almost to the point of extinction in Liberal Connecticut

Do you understand it now?
Maybe Colt should move operations to a better state, then they can pass on the savings. Im sorry but those last 2 reasons just wont hunt. And a big maybe on 3 of the first 4.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I asked a friendly dealer what his cost is and he looked it up and it's $1275. I wonder what the distributors are paying Colt.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts