Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like everyone's opinion on a 2020 Python vs. the old S&W Model 586s. One or the other will be in my safe this year and I'd like people that have shot both to weigh in here.

The Python is the better looking revolver for sure but I'm asking for a comparison of the action of a new 2020 Python to an old S&W Model 586. Do any of you own both? Shot both?

· Registered
9,290 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I have always been a S&W double action revolver fan. Maybe I didn’t know any better. But I just do. Not that new crap with the Hillary hole.

· Registered
44 Posts
I happen to have a (1985) 586 no dash. Love the deep rich bluing. I also have a 1961 and 1976 Python nice deep rich blue as well, and a bit cooler with the vent rib. The 586’s are affordable still, and I’m kind of thinking the value is dropping, but same with Pythons. I guess it depends on your budget. If you can, get an older Python, however you won’t be disappointed in the 586 if you go that route.

· Registered
48 Posts
I own both (686s, 586, and new 2020 python.). Smith actions are better most of the time and can worked easily to be great. Both colt and Smith can be tack drivers. While I love my 2020 pythons, the single action pull sucks on the 2020 python. 5 to 6 pounds on the colt while a smith is going to be around 3 pounds out of the box. Colts heavy single action pull makes it difficult to do bench rested 25 yard accuracy testing. Although, with concentration , I can get some very good groups from my 2020 pythons. I just purchased some fixtures to correct the single action pulls. Everybody here recommends sending them off for trigger jobs but I have several and have been a serious “hobby” gunsmith for 40 years so I am going try on one of mine. I am confident I can achieve a good pull single pull. Not too many do yourself types on this forum, mainly collectors but to each his own. Double action is good but different than Smith feel.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dogdoc. Here's what I've learned from another forum:
The Python double action is fantastic right out of the box, I'm quite happy with it. The single action, unfortunately, is not as good. In fact, the hammer moves back another 1/8th of an inch as you press the trigger in single action. Which, in my mind, really makes it a shorter double action instead of a true single action. My understanding is that this was done intentionally by Colt in order to pass the California drop test.

I'm thinking I'll call Colt and see if they are able to correct that single action pull. Can anyone here expand on this issue?

· Registered
154 Posts
I am always interested in these questions. I think the correct answer is to buy one of each. See which one you like better and then but different variations of the one you like best. But keep your eyes open for a good deal on variations the one you did not like as much. I currently have 2 old Pythons and 3 L frame S&Ws. Still have not decided which one I like best. I am also thinking I need a new 3" Python.

· Registered
339 Posts
Every 586 or 686 that I used to own were The Best revolvers I had. Right out of the box, the sights were to my eye and the trigger pull was the stuff dreams were made of. Had access to a python and really wanted it to be as good, but no cigar, Picked up many of the S&W used when some PD friends were going to the semi auto

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Thanks Dogdoc. Here's what I've learned from another forum:
The Python double action is fantastic right out of the box, I'm quite happy with it. The single action, unfortunately, is not as good. In fact, the hammer moves back another 1/8th of an inch as you press the trigger in single action. Which, in my mind, really makes it a shorter double action instead of a true single action. My understanding is that this was done intentionally by Colt in order to pass the California drop test.

I'm thinking I'll call Colt and see if they are able to correct that single action pull. Can anyone here expand on this issue?
The 2020 was designed from the ground up to have a very good double action pull. Once you get used to "staging" in DA it will work better than pulling the trigger back to fire in SA. Colt does not do trigger jobs on the 2020 revolvers, and if it is within specification, it will be returned. Better to find out if it is within specification before returning it for nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts