Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How could this happen. My new 2020 SAA 7 1/2" has miss-matched serial numbers. 4 numbers different from the frame to the grip frame ??? My 2019 5 1/2" SAA Matches. Any Thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Not a great situation but I’m not sure how you would resolve it without a lot of time involved. If the fit,finish,and function are in all respects what they should be quality wise,might just leave it be. Pete

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
A New 7.5” is a sight to behold. Good for you and congrats!

If you bought it factory new, call Colt and inquire.
A 2020 build isn’t going to be a significant money-making investment - so no worries about that.

Like Pete says if the grip frame fits nicely I’d enjoy shooting and showing it off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, factory new from my LGS. Soon after I purchased it, he got another one in. I guess someone else out there has my matching number grip frame. If any one has It, let me know. Last 3 digits of serial number on my frame is 130 and on my grip frame is 126. Beautiful SAA. Everything fits tight and functions as should. Numbers just don't match.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
My newest SAA purchase has been a few years ago, Spud, and I didn’t take notice when I removed the grip panels.
I had to check the spread sheet. Man. It’s been over three years. A 357 5-1/2”.
My last 7-1/2” was in 2014. A while.

When I can, I will check a few of mine and see if they all match.
That said, I’m with the consensus .. if all fit and finish is superb, I believe it’s gonna be a non-issue down the road still.
As you may or may not know, currently with Colt you will likely get a fast response via email from colt customer service. You have to contact them via email. Customer service is currently working from home, but they’re hot on the stick with email communication

[email protected]
is the contact address.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Yes, factory new from my LGS. Soon after I purchased it, he got another one in. I guess someone else out there has my matching number grip frame. If any one has It, let me know. Last 3 digits of serial number on my frame is 130 and on my grip frame is 126. Beautiful SAA. Everything fits tight and functions as should. Numbers just don't match.
No one would know unless the grips are removed. Pete

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Thanks for the address. I'll send them an e-mail and see what they say. I'm not planning on sending it back as of now but it will forever be a non matching serial number gun. Not what you would expect when you shell out big bucks for one. Another Aw-Shit for Colt.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Remember during the recall Colt was recycling parts from the SAAs they received back, perhaps they're still using those parts up. Your Colt like you said will now always be a non matching SAA which drastically hurts the value should you ever decide to sell it. I personally would send it back and have them fit a properly numbered part.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It would bug me enough that I would contact Colt and request a return shipping label to send it back and have them fit a new grip frame. And I would specifically mention that they aren't allowed to cheat and strike out the wrong numbers and then renumber the parts to match which would be the easy & cheap way out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Or, it may be an interesting reiic of the "frame recall" days. Keep the documentation with it, and some day it will have an interesting story as it was factory built with returned brand new parts. My vote is keep it as is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all I didn't know Colt had a recall on the SAA as mag318 stated. I did fire them off an e-mail and got a reply back that they would take care of it. In these trying times, Im not comfortable sending it back. As Walter stated, I also thought they might over stamp the number or just stamp it in another location. Cant control what Colt might do once it leaves my hands. Right now its almost a perfect piece except for the number difference. As LeverActionBill stated, its not going to be a money making piece in our life time. I will need to think about this for awhile before I jump into sending it back. Thanks for all your replies and information.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had a similar one back in the 80's where the backstrap was mis-matched. IIRC, I sent it back and Colt XXX'd out the wrong number and stamped the correct one on the backstrap....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the numbers so close, what’s the chance that it was built with returned parts? I’m thinking someone grabbed the wrong grip frame during assembly. Only 4 gun numbers apart. I would think returned gun parts would be way off on the numbers. Maybe just a coincidence.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Found thread on frame recall, serial numbers from S85126A to S85399A. FYI, My 7 1/2" miss-matched serial numbered gun is S88130A. Colt customer service said guns come to the assembler in racks of 10. That person probably grabed the wrong grip frame during assembly. Also my 5 1/2" SAA is S87051A. Feel free to comment as I haven't decided to send it back for replacement grip frame.

·
Registered
985 Posts
For me. I'd send it back. It's easily explained now but 10 years or more from now you'll have a Colt SAA with mis-matched numbers that most will be suspicious of and consider it non-original, non-factory build that no one can offer a definitive explanation for. Good luck.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Anyone can buy a 3 generation with matching numbers. But few can own a new gun with unmatched numbers so close. Its a a curio and a conversation piece that has no effect on utility.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That would mean someone else out there would have a miss-matched SAA Frame bearing serial number S88126A. What's the chances that SN 126 and 130 were the only 2 off that rack that got switched. Probably more. Time will tell if everyone checks their newly purchased 7 1/2" SAA.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Time will tell if everyone checks their newly purchased 7 1/2" SSA.
Thats true but some people could buy their SAA,keep it with its original box,never fire it,never take the grips off and never know. Pete

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd document it and keep it as is..They can restamp the number , but they likely will not replace and refinish the backstrap .It's just a personal decision that only you can make.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You have a ' one of a kind ' gun there. Maybe in a 100 years or so it will be worth big bucks because of it's uniqueness. I would leave it alone especially since it came from the factory that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts