Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings;

Am seeking the proper description for our 2 Colts, if you care to indulge my ignorance. A .22 Magnum cylinder accompanies the case hardened revolver. The 'white' framed item is their attempt at "modern styling" using an aluminum frame.

I attempted to answer this query for myself via another forum, but came away 'empty brained'.

We're inclined to 'trade assets' as my wife is looking to step further into CAS, so a proper description will assist in selling one or both. Thanks for watching.

Wally
DSC00052 Colt New Frontier 22 cal 1974.jpg DSC00054 Colt Peacemaker 22 cal 1974.jpg DSC00055 Colt New Frontier 22 cal.jpg DSC00057 Colt New Frontier 22 cal.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
The revolver with the color case hardened frame and adjustable sights is indeed a Colt New Frontier .22. From the serial number is was made about 1975. The other gun is a "duotone" Frontier Scout made in 1957 (the first year of production). The Frontier Scout is a very early gun, production started with serial number 1000Q. If you have the original box for the gun, I might be interested in a purchase.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
May I also add a question? When did Colt cease putting a casehardened finish on the New Frontier .22 frames? Here's mine with an all blue finish:

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
There were two separate "generations" of the New Frontier .22. The first was produced by Colt from 1970 to 1976. This model was designed to be used with .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinders (some were shipped with only the .22 LR and some with both), and had a color case hardened frame. In 1982, Colt re-introduced the New Frontier .22 with a new safety device. This was called the "cross-bolt safety" and was supposed to prevent the hammer falling on a live round if it was released before reaching the full cock position. These guns were designed to use ONLY the .22 LR cylinder. Most of these guns had color case hardened frames but some of the later ones (1985-86) had a "full blue finish". The gun shown in the above post is one of these full blue revolvers. The full blue New Frontier .22s are relatively scarce in today's market, especially those with the 4.4 inch barrels.

- - - - Buckspen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts