Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a pretty decent 22 caliber Colt Official Police from an estate. Its too far for me to drive to see it and the executor is a lady and she has NO knowledge of guns but does have someone with FFL that will ship to my FFL.

Could someone give me a ball park estimate on one made between 1940 and prior to 1947 its 25XXX.

Here are a couple of photos she took with a cell phone:

Sorry for being upside down, they are right side up on my computer but loaded upside down for some reason!
Only two photos I have.
Dennis

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I would go up to $500 ez- its a quality .22 (assuming its fully functional) its a Colt, and even a Ruger .22 can be 500 bucks or more.

Nothing against Ruger, they are still making them- but no more Colt O/P's made- can only go up in price.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
It’s what I refer to as a transitional piece, which doesn’t mean much in Colts. Me personally I love see factory prewar parts on post war guns. This one does and still has its original grips. It’s a nice shooter worth 500-600 imo. If you get it for less than 400, I’d be looking for lights to hit me on the way home.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Guys, he's asking the basic, local, non-gun person selling it price. Not the high roller, internet savvy, Colt collector price. Think of that as MSRP. Many of us don't pay MSRP, we pay wholesale/private seller.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I’m just giving an honest opinion of what I’ve saw stuff sell for. On shooter grade guns I use local price usually. On nib collector items it’s internet cause probably 95%/+ of top collector packages go online. The good ol days are almost gone in the areas I visit.

You might have a guy sell you a 2.5 inch python for $100 but it doesn’t mean that’s what it’s worth or what you can expect to buy one for. I wouldn’t buy a $100 python myself as I would know what would happen. I like a deal but too good to be true scares me. I’m not knocking anyone who does, just it’s not for me.

Also my lights hit me was a joke. I wouldn’t get concerned in this situation until it got less than 300. This situation sounds completely on up and up with FFLs and all.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I’m just giving an honest opinion of what I’ve saw stuff sell for. On shooter grade guns I use local price usually. On nib collector items it’s internet cause probably 95%/+ of top collector packages go online. The good ol days are almost gone in the areas I visit.

You might have a guy sell you a 2.5 inch python for $100 but it doesn’t mean that’s what it’s worth or what you can expect to buy one for. I wouldn’t buy a $100 python myself as I would know what would happen. I like a deal but too good to be true scares me. I’m not knocking anyone who does, just it’s not for me.

Also my lights hit me was a joke. I wouldn’t get concerned in this situation until it got less than 300. This situation sounds completely on up and up with FFLs and all.
Big_Gus... you are spot on. Over the couple of years on this Forum I read about $100 deals that are certainly not what is the norm. Nothing wrong with that deal but it’s not what the market represents. Personally, I want to pay a fair price for all parties, maybe not $100 or $600 but $450. Jack

·
Registered
422 Posts
Big_Gus... you are spot on. Over the couple of years on this Forum I read about $100 deals that are certainly not what is the norm. Nothing wrong with that deal but it’s not what the market represents. Personally, I want to pay a fair price for all parties, maybe not $100 or $600 but $450. Jack
I was in a gun shop several years ago and overheard a young man boasting about how he had recently bought a nice Garand from a widow for $100. I had to leave the store before I said or did something that I would later regret.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in a gun shop several years ago and overheard a young man boasting about how he had recently bought a nice Garand from a widow for $100. I had to leave the store before I said or did something that I would later regret.
Amen to that, I there is no way I could do that even if she had that price on it. Not chastising those that would pay her price and feel fine, I just couldn't do it.
Dennis

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I have a chance to buy a pretty decent 22 caliber Colt Official Police from an estate. Its too far for me to drive to see it and the executor is a lady and she has NO knowledge of guns but does have someone with FFL that will ship to my FFL.

Could someone give me a ball park estimate on one made between 1940 and prior to 1947 its 25XXX.
Dennis
OK I thought you were asking what you should offer. Perhaps you're asking the retail value. Those are two different things, unless you always buy at high retail/MSRP even from private sales.

You got a range from $400 (me), to $600. That is the normal scale from wholesale to retail.

I SAY AGAIN, as I have for almost 15 years. We should NOT allow appraisals or value questions on this site. Most hobby forums don't allow it for this reason.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
$400 sounds fair for that particular gun. I paid about 20% more for my 1935 example that had a trace of bluing wear from a holster at the tip of the barrel. But it is a pre-war gun and in excellent mechanical shape with original checkered walnut stocks. And I think I got a pretty fair deal.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I give the going rate then let the buyer decide what to pay. I’ve had some give me what I should pay, me pass and come to find out it was a smoking deal later. I learned to find out for myself what’s stuff is worth.

A person can’t know everything though. I’ll not mention make or model due to parties involved and wasn’t that long ago. Like maybe 2 years ago, A guy walks in show I knew somewhat with a gun to a buddy of mine set up in a case. He wouldn’t let anyone see it unless he knew them and strictly it’s not for sell now. One high condition antique collector (one of our “experts”) wanted to buy it, he said wasn’t for sell. He told the guy he should charge admission to look at that one, never heard him say that before or since. Out comes a 1870’s “major” manufacturer in 95-97% condition (by modern grading). Maybe higher if not for some buggered original screws-that’s what gave me pause and me knocking it a couple extra points. Could have been a 97-98% gun if not for that.

I grade everything on “modern” scale. I never understood bumping a gun up 20-30% once it reached 100 year’s or whatever. To me a 98% gun is a 98% gun whether it was made 2020 or 1620.

This gun was a deluxe model too and gorgeous. They said it was right as rain. I had never saw a 1800s gun in such original condition. He told the guy, not trying to buy it, he thought it was a 2500 gun. That was his honest opinion. My head spun around, thinking what??? Problem is my buddy doesn’t mess with high condition guns and gave what he has actually sold his grey guns for.

Wasn’t up my alley but it had the right name on it. I said are you going to sell it? He said no, I said well if you do I’ll gladly give you 2500 for it to reside in my safe. He said I’ll sell it to you (he kinda liked me), for 4000 and I know I shouldn’t price it because of condition. I looked at my buddy and he gave me the sign no. My gut screamed at me to buy it. I didn’t. I have no idea what such a gun would bring because I never see any this good at RIA but since then I‘ve some maybe 90% bring like 8-15k, some aren’t even all factory original! Oh well, I’m not losing any sleep over it. I tried to never have “a story”, I bought most my gut said to, but I reckon this one is “my story”.

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok she is the administrator for her brothers estate and some of his collector friend appraised this 22 for $500, the gun is several states away, I am not familiar with their value and simply wanted to verify its approximate value before making a decision about buying it, I also know the administrator. I thought these type questions were normal between friends.

I SAY AGAIN, as I have for almost 15 years. We should NOT allow appraisals or value questions on this site. Most hobby forums don't allow it for this reason.
That's an easy thing to fix, just ignore those type posts, no frustration, no effort and no change in forum rules necessary.
Dennis

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
With $500 as the price, is it worth that you you once you add shipping and FFL fees to get it to you, or can you arrange to go get it down the road?

A nice .22 trainer is a helluva lot of fun to own and shoot, and besides - where are you going to find another?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts