Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While making my weekly tour of the local pawn shop today I found a .22 Diamondback, 6-inch bbl in very nice condition (I won't call it "excellent" condition until I can get it home and see how it cleans up), complete with box and papers. The owner tells me that it was on display for maybe five hours. I immediately put it on layaway.

Now for the bad news: I'm thinking I paid waayy too much for this thing. I just never see these around much, and thought I should jump on it. I paid $700.00 for the thing.

How'd I do?

Also, the serial number is AA07xxx, can anybody tell me the DOB on this piece?

- Jimmy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well, Jimmy it pains me to tell you this, but I've paid more. It hurts to think that these guns cost about $125 at one time!

Certainly you may run across them cheaper at times, but you didn't really pay too much. Sadly, the prices on this particular gun has gone ballistic! If you think you did pay too much, then check the prices on them in 1 to 2 years & you will think you got a good deal.

Be happy with what you have. You have scored a very desireable gun.

·
Registered
991 Posts
We've discussed the outrageous prices of these excellent firearms in the past. It's a matter of supply and demand. You did pretty well at $700.00 in my opinion, as long as it cleans up well. I've said this before and I will say it again...ten years from now you won't even be able to find one.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First off, for a gun in that barrel length and caliber, you did very well on the price, I would have gladly paid that price for one.
Secondly, can you recheck that serial number? The last recorded serial numbers in 1985 went from AA01563 to AA02432 and then went to an AB prefix set of numbers. In all probability, with the AA prefix, it was made in 1985. Good luck and great shooting with your new purchase. Get back to us on that S/N.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The .22lr models command a premium over the .38sp models. If you think you paid to much then just imagine the price if that particular revolver was a nickeled model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All,

Thanks for the replies. This is indeed a pretty piece, and considering the condition and extras (box, and papers), I guess I'll be content with it.

I don't have the revolver in front of me, but the layaway papers I have indicate that the serial number is AA07002, which is the number that I wrote down after seeing it on the gun. Which leads to a question, this is the number that was stamped inside the crane. Is that the serial number, or is it in a different location? If this IS the serial number, could this be from the end of a production run, where different parts were used to cobble together a particular piece (S&W used to do this on a regular basis)?

TIA...

- Jimmy

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
JimmyQ

Kinda strange, that serial number is awful far away from the last prefix AA serial number as I note before. That would take an awful lot of cobbled guns to go from A02432 to AA07002. It would make sense if that "7" was a "1" and that would make it made in 1984.
Why not wait until you get the piece in hand and then we can go from there.
Yes, the serial number is on the crane.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts