Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I am in need of a magazine for a Colt conversion. It is 22 cal. Could you steer me in the right direction. Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Conversion vs. ACE 22lr magazine

Thanks Woodsmith.
Is there a way to tell a 22lr conversion magazine from a 22lr ACE magazine by looking at them?

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Thanks Woodsmith.
Is there a way to tell a 22lr conversion magazine from a 22lr ACE magazine by looking at them?
What they refer to as an ACE magazines is usually the same as the Conversion Unit.
But; Colt made an ACE before WWII, and they made a Serivce Model ACE which is the same as the Conversion Unit.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Is there a way to tell the difference between the Ace mag and the Service Model Ace mag?D*

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Is there a way to tell the difference between the Ace mag and the Service Model Ace mag?D*
None of the magazines with the removable base are for an ACE, they are SM ACE/Conversion Unit magazines.
The early magazines with the pinned base that are for an ACE should be marked as such.
The early magazines with the pinned base that are for a SM ACE should be marked Service Model.
The early magazines and those made before the switch over to the removable base are marked Colt .22 L.R.

There is a visual difference between the ACE magazine and the Service Model magazine, but I do not have an original ACE mag to post a picture of.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Thanks Woodsmith.
Every ORIGINAL Ace magazine will be so marked on the base plate. I am not aware of any aftermarket magazine for the Ace. There are aftermarket magazines for the Service Model Ace and Conversion Unit. As mentioned, the most reliable magazines are original ones sold by Colt.

What they refer to as an ACE magazines is usually the same as the Conversion Unit.
But; Colt made an ACE before WWII, and they made a Serivce Model ACE which is the same as the Conversion Unit.
That statement is confusing. The Ace magazine is NEVER the same as a magazine for a Conversion Unit. The Service Model Ace magazine IS the same functionally as a magazine for a Conversion Unit. Magazines of the same vintage for a Service Model Ace and a Conversion Unit will be marked the same on the base plate, and have the same style of base plate.

While the magazines pictured by T.May will work in any Conversion Unit, they may not be the correct style for an earlier Conversion Unit. I am not sure just when the removable base plate design was introduced, but I think it was in about 1980 or so. Therefore, an earlier Conversion Unit would use the fixed base plate design. From about 1948-1949 on (after the "Service Model Ace" marked magazines with the aluminum base plates were used up), the base plate is marked "COLT" over "CAL. 22 L.R."

Maybe all of this is more than the OP wanted to know, but such an open-ended question raises several possibilities to be addressed. Of course, there are also variations in Pre-War and Early Post-War Conversion Unit magazines that I have not addressed .... If the OP has such a Conversion Unit, those variations can be addressed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was told or read years ago that the way to tell an Ace mag from a Conversion mag was the Slide button that moves with the follower. If centered and straight up and down it was Ace. If starts upper left and goes down toward the right at an angle then it was a Conversion Mag.

Any thoughts

Just my 2 cents

1 - 12 of 12 Posts