Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please give some idea of value for a 22 Cal. Offical Police. 98% with light cylinder ring. Checkered wood grips with silver medalion. Serial #257XX. Thanks, Robba

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Oh my goodness! How did you get stuck with such a useless old tomato stake? These are so unwanted it's nearly impossible to give them away, but since you're forum member, send it to me, and I'll give you a 100 bucks just to help you out....

Seriously, I don't have my book handy, but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 550-600.00 for a 98% with no box or papers. Mine is a like new 1940 pre war and I lucked out at a 450.00 price tag about a year ago. Your serial number is only slightly higher than mine, so yours may also be a pre war specimen.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has a Micro rear sight in a dovetail slot, and a front sight fixed to the blade underneath with three pins. I think its factory because the finish is perfect, and all edges, and stampings are sharp. The barrel says Colt Official Police-22 Cal. Cart. Would you believe I have been looking at this gun since August 04. They want $650, but I think they would take $550 considering how long its been laying around. My son keeps talking me out of buying it because of the unsurity of who did the sights. What do you think??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Robba-according to R.L.Wilson's "Book of Colt Firearms", a "variety of special sights were used" on the O.P. .22, so it's possible the sights on the gun in question are factory original. The only way to know for sure would be a factory letter which-since you don't own the gun-is hardly the way to go. Just have to trust your own judgement. -Asa

·
Registered
267 Posts
My Colt Official Police serial number places it at 1937. It is an easy 95%+ and is a great shooter.

The wood grips are so nice that I removed them so as not to mess them up...replaced them for shooting with these white plastic wannabe ivory ones. I receive lots of grief for that at times...shoot the gun but have safe queen grips for it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much for the kind replys. I am probably going to finally buy this revolver. To salve my curiosity I will pay the money, and get a Colt letter on it. I like 22's, and this is a peach of a one. If it turns out to be a bummer, I'll just shut up, and shoot it. When I get it, I will post some pics showing the micro sight, etc. Again thanks for the info. Robba

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Robba;not to rain on your .22 Official Police party,but I really don't think those sights are factory,and while the gun will be a great shooter,it is certainly not in the $650 price range the dealer is asking,as it is not original with those sights. I don't believe Micro sights were around in the 1940-47 period when your gun was made(there is a gap in the O.P. serial#3 from 14,000,start,1940 to 30,000,start 1947!!) Quite a gap!

You could buy a nice shooter grade(or better!) pre war Officers Model .22 for the $550,and have elevation adjustment besides windage with the rear dovetail.

As far as the "sight options",that are listed,they mostly are with the front sight;wide, narrow,Call,Patridge etc. This Colt would do,but fitting a dovetail Micro?? maybe.

Seems like others have passed the gun up in the 1 1/2 years you've been looking at it,and sadly,the dealer knows you want it!

Are there any markings on the gun if a custom gunsmith like Kings or Pachmyer did the sight work?? This can add some value.

Good Luck,and just my opinion. Bud

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Your original post didn't mention the rear sight modification, so I need to change my opinion to agree with lonewolf. If someone has milled a dovetail in the frame to add a rear sight, and his name wasn't King or Roper, the gun went from collector grade to shooter grade, and the value, in my humble opinion, drops to half what the unmolested gun would be worth. Lonewolf is right about the Officers Models. They have the identical frame size, and action, of the OP but with the advantage of factory adjustable sights. I have several of the OM 38's, 22's, a 32, and a 22 magnum, and they are all very accurate.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys. My original post in August/04 did mention the rear Micro sight. I should have mentioned it again this time. The fact that I did not buy this gun before bespeaks my suspicions about it. After reading Micro not being around until late 40's, someone did the revisions to the gun, and did a darn good job. The gun shop is not aware I want the pistol, and I still like it, and will offer something like $450 take it or leave it. They will possibly leave it, and so be it. Thanks all for your remarks, Bobba

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok,
If you really have to have one of those cop training guns I have one that I will sell, I got stuck with it in a group of Target Revolvers I bought. It's in about 98 % condition all original, nothing messed with, and good looking, doesn't look like it's been shot, just handled a bit, the serial number is 35734, I think it's early Post War but not sure, someone here will be able to date it, I hate the thing as I like to be able to adjust my sights for the ammo I use. If you have to have it I'll let it go for $ 425 + shipping and insurance, that should be a good price from what others have said. One last catch, I must send it to an FFL.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robba:
OK guys. My original post in August/04 did mention the rear Micro sight. I should have mentioned it again this time. The fact that I did not buy this gun before bespeaks my suspicions about it. After reading Micro not being around until late 40's, someone did the revisions to the gun, and did a darn good job. The gun shop is not aware I want the pistol, and I still like it, and will offer something like $450 take it or leave it. They will possibly leave it, and so be it. Thanks all for your remarks, Bobba <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry,
I thought you were looking for a Collectors Item that was all Original and that you could shoot. Guess I missed something along the way.
I P.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robba:
I also hate revolvers without adjustable sights, so spending $425 for yours would not be to bright! But thanks for offering. Someone thought enough of this 22 with the micro adjustable sights to send it somewhere for additions that were factory quality made. Occasionally I'll buy a gun for its intrinsic value, and attractivness to me rather than its resale value. Anyway this one has been sitting in the shop since mid year last year, and I'm sure it has been inspected and rejected for the same reasons as expressed in earlier replys by many collectors. You folks are knowledgable and fun to chat with. If I buy it, I'll post pics so you can see how badly I was hosed. Robba<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh Oh: Did not mean to hurt your feelings. I have said before we are not collectors, we are shooters of fine guns. Yes we collect, but shoot them all. I have no quarrel with people that harbor safe queens, because that is their thing, and I respect their passion for the perfect. Anyway I still may buy that Colt 22 Offical Police with the bastard Micro rear sight. Peace, Robba

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also hate revolvers without adjustable sights, so spending $425 for yours would not be to bright! But thanks for offering. Someone thought enough of this 22 with the micro adjustable sights to send it somewhere for additions that were factory quality made. Occasionally I'll buy a gun for its intrinsic value, and attractivness to me rather than its resale value. Anyway this one has been sitting in the shop since mid year last year, and I'm sure it has been inspected and rejected for the same reasons as expressed in earlier replys by many collectors. You folks are knowledgable and fun to chat with. If I buy it, I'll post pics so you can see how badly I was hosed. Robba

·
Registered
153 Posts
Robba,
Not a problem, you did not hurt my feelings. I just do not understand why anyone would want to buy a gun that's more or less messed up, for more money, rather than buy one of the same model and condition for less money.

It only becomes a safe queen if you want it to be, I think I priced it good enough to be a shooter or a safe queen, and when guns like this go up in value it will be the original one, not one that has been messed with.

I never try to tell anyone how or what to spend there money on, was only trying to offer a nice "original" gun at a good price.

At any rate no hard feelings, right or wrong the important thing is to buy what you like, not what someone else likes.
I P.

Uh Oh: Did not mean to hurt your feelings. I have said before we are not collectors, we are shooters of fine guns. Yes we collect, but shoot them all. I have no quarrel with people that harbor safe queens, because that is their thing, and I respect their passion for the perfect. Anyway I still may buy that Colt 22 Offical Police with the bastard Micro rear sight. Peace, Robba<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ira: I hate to keep this going on and on but the reason I was attracted to this revolver to begin with was the obvious care some entity took to do the modifications on it. It could have been done by the factory in the early fiftys after Mirco sights came into being. Anyway I am sure someone of worth used this weapon in competition before the OMT's came into being. The modifications done even at that time would not have been inexpensive. It is a beautiful revolver for what it is, and I am obviously nuts to be sticking up for it as I am. Also I'm not rich but have been known to make inadvised gun purchases at times! Robba

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
robba, the modification was not done before the OMT came along, since both the OMT and OP in .22 rimfire were introduced in 1930. Micro sights were a Post-War item as I recall, so the work was likely done in the 1950s in an attempt to make a "poor man's OMT" out of an OP. I would be VERY surprised if Colt did the work. I have learned never to say never with Colts, but I would come very close to saying never on the factory installation of Micro sights on a 1930s OP. That is why King and the like came into being since Colt would not make the modifications many sought.

Being all right angles, it would not be hard to mill the top strap to make a Micro sight fit on an OP frame and make it look like factory work, so I personally would not place such great value on the workmanship. However, if it appeals to you, it is your money and will be worth what you pay for it in satisfaction alone. It just will not have equal resale unless you are lucky enought to find another who places equally high value on the modifications. That said, modified "collector class" guns have little value to most collectors, except for parts, and shooters can often buy functionally equivalent or better guns for less. Plan on keeping it if you buy it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I presently have a 98% OMT that I bought last year for $495 in 22 Cal. Old 22's attract me both Colt, and K Smiths. It really doen't matter if I buy this, and can't sell it in the future for what I paid for it. I will never outlive my guns anyway with a son half my age partnering with me. So I'm going to keep looking at this bastard 22 until I either buy it, or don't. Like I said before, I don't like revolvers without adjustable sights, but I like old guns. This is an old 98%, Colt 22 with adjustable sights and probably will shoot like a little sweetheart. I don't collect, I shoot 98% guns. My factory 45 Colt high polished Anaconda will just have to forgive me for consorting with this bastard revolver if I choose to buy it. Robba

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Robba,coincidently,I saw 2 nice .22 O.P.s at a gun show here in Maine(I have a 4" and 6",so am "covered on .22 O.Ps!"). One was priced at $350,the other,$425,but were about equal in condition(95% ish),original stocks,but no boxes.Both post war). Knowing the dealer for the one with the one priced at $350,he'd go $325. Figured you'd be interested in going rate for "stock" .22 O.P.'s to compare with the modified one you are looking at,but I know prices vary with the areas. Good Luck, Bud

1 - 18 of 18 Posts