Colt Forum banner

.22 WMR

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lonewolf 
#1 ·
I was just wondering: Colt has made all kinds of guns in various calibers but did Colt ever made a gun especially for the .22 WMR?

I think I saw a SAA somewhere in this caliber but I could be wrong.

Hopefully .22Rimfire can jump in here?

Thanks,

Gunsmoke

#3 ·
Thanks for the input.

So that means that after the MkIII Trooper no other colts were made/facory rechambered for .22WMR accept for mabye Frankensteins?

#4 ·
Unless it was a Custom Shop job, that was pretty much it for Colt's.

After the Trooper Mark III, there was the Trooper Mark V, and the King Cobra, none of which were offered in rimfire rounds.

Remember, there were earlier models made in .22 Magnum that were probably still available around the time of the Mark III.

In addition to the guns listed in my other post, there were a few Diamondbacks made in .22 Mag.

As for NEW designs offered in .22, after the Mark III, there was nothing I'm aware of.

#5 ·
You all are correct based on my research.

For starters, the 22 Magnum (WMR) round was introduced to the firearm buying world in 1959. Colt almost immediately publicized that it was going to produce a Frontier Scout in 22 WMR. The new chambering was introduced in 1959 (first finished guns hitting the market in 1960) in a heavy framed Frontier Scout. The Frontier Scout had been introduced in 22RF in 1957 in a duotone blue configuration (blue barrel and cylinder, and nickel frame). The first dual cylinder (22LR & 22 WMR) revolvers models hit the market in 1964. Prior to that, the 22 WMR verisons were fitted with a 22 magnum cylinder only. The last production of the dual cylinder New Frontier or Peacemaker 22/22 mag revolvers was in 1977. A 22LR version was re-introduced in 1982 and production ceased in 1985. A few were assembled from parts in 1986. Colt inventories had been cleared by 1987 of this revolver. (Ref. Don Wilkerson book)

Colt introduced the Officers Model Match in 22 Magnum. It is a rare variation due to its low production (Ref. 850 Blue Book). The Officers Model Match was THE premium Colt 22 double action revolver until the Diamondback was introduced in 1968 even though it was cataloged since 1966. A 22 WMR version was also cataloged during the first couple of years of the Diamondback but dropped. Very limited numbers were produced and Colt will say that none were produced commercially. (I am not so sure about that.)

The next and last revolver to be offered in 22LR and 22 WMR was the Mark III introduced in 1979. It was offered in 4, 6, and 8" barrel lengths and in blue, nickel, and coltguard (elctroless) finishes. Production ceased in around 1983 when the Mark V revolver (357 mag) was introduced. There were plans to manufacture a 22RF version, but a Mark V 22 never went into production.

#6 ·
.22 rimfire; while your "the man" on .22s,Colt Frontier Scouts,in duotone,were NOT nickle and blue! The finish from 1957-1960 in this "duotone" was blue bbl. and cylinder and the frame and "grip frame" left "in the white",or the natural alloy color. Frankly I thought it looked "half done"!

I owned 3 of the "smaller Colts",but never really enjoyed shooting them;too light I guess(but a helluva lot better than a former girl friends' Ruger Bearcat!). Back about 15 years ago,wife wanted to check out some dishes at an auction,so we went before we went to dinner. There was one gun, a used,but still with the beat up box,early Scout in this duotone. Wasn't sure,so I rushed home,checked two books,and lucky no other "gun people" at auction,so got it for $40. Call to a collector friend,from a much better restaurant,than we planned to go to before"my buy",netted $200. So,I have a little fondness for the Scouts.

This collector was savvy enough to realize that as "full size" SAA's were being pushed out of the average buyers budget,the demand for Scouts would increa /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifse-and the fact that many of the Scouts,were done up as commemoratives,would further drive up the value of "standard guns"! So right he was!

Bud

#8 ·
So,if you see one,guys, a Scout that looks like the "bluing" is worn completely off the frame and bbl. and its "cheap", Grab it! Guns are a "must" for a serious "Scout"(I'd list all the frame letters,but too many!)

Friend got one about a year ago,no box, probably 90% blue left,as dealer who had it thought blue had worn heavily off the frame and grip stocks,and owner had "tried to clean these parts". Cost; $100 OTD.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.