Colt Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Maybe if Winchester marketed 22 wrf as a low power pinker version of 22 MRF it would have a following and thus a market.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I fired several boxes of the CCI WRFs in two of my revolvers, a 6" Colt "New Frontier" Combination .22/.22WRM and a 4" S&W 651 .22WRM. No problems and they are the most accurate ctgs. I've tried in the S&W. (Even more accurate in the .22 WRM barrel of my .22WRM/.410 combo, BTW.)

WHY would a jacket separate in a revolver if it didn't in a rifle? Anyone had this problem in an SAA or New Service .44-40 or .38-40 or any .32-20 revolver with factory softpoints? I haven't. Wouldn't the RIFLE be more likely to have this problem since it reaches higher pressures and velocities? Do I smell a lawyer?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
It was a matter of bore dimensions in some revolvers being tighter than the standard. Read my post above.

Standard diameter for WRF bullets is .226".
Standard diameter for LR bullets is .223".
If the revolver has a LR spec bore, it is too tight to shoot jacketed WRF, as their bullets are .003" larger than the bore.

Lead can travel through a tighter bore. Jacketed bullets have been known to strip. CCI was asked why they put the warning on their .22 WRF boxes and they explained it was because some revolvers have bores made to the .22 LR specs.

The only way to be safe is to slug the bore of a particular .22 WRF revolver and determine what the actual bore diameter is. If it's groove diameter is less than .226, don't shoot jacketed .22 WRF.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
At an old time, long established gun store not far away I visited this week...I noticed they had several boxes of .22WRF in stock. I didn't bother asking the price as I have no need for them but because of this thread I wouldn't have even noticed them otherwise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
22 wrf

The .22 WRF is a cool old round but can be a bit pricey these days due to limited availability. I did some hunting with an old Winchester Model 1890 in .22 WRF and it put the smackdown on desert jackrabbits quite well. I bought a few boxes of it back when it could be found for about $5/50 (when you could also get a 100 Mini-Mags in .22 LR for about $3.00) and shot it in the magnum cylinder of my Ruger Single Six. I only shot the lead flatpoint loads, if you can find those they should work just fine in a Colt Police Positive in that caliber.

i BOUGHT AN OLD REFINISHED wINCHESTER IN 22 WRF. COULDN'T FIND THE AMMO, THOUGHT 22 MAGNUM WOULD WORK, NOT SO. i HAD A GUNSMITH RECONFIGURE THE GUN TO 22 MAGNUM. PROBLEM SOLVED, EASY TO GET AMMO AND THE GUN SHOOTS GREAT.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I SUSPECT that the "tight bored" .22 WRF revolvers are only the original Colt DA PPTs (and maybe a VERY, VERY few SAAs and Bisleys). I just don't know of any other .22WRF-only chambered revolvers, unless some of the original H&R ".22 Specials" were actually chambered for ".22 Special." I've examined a bunch of them over the years and all were made for the .22 LR.

I wonder if people that had the .22 LR version tried .22 WRF (".22 Special") in some of them, or rechambered some to .22 WRF and that is the source of the warning against using .22 WRFs in revolvers. I've talked to owners of H&R ".22 Specials" who INSISTED that they had fired .22 Specials in them. Unfortunately I didn't have a .22 WRF ctg. in my pocket to prove it one way or the other....

Since most of the .22WRF shooting going on now is in .22 WRM-chambered guns, I just don't see a practical problem. A "lawyer problem," maybe. But the odds, like the number of .22 WRF PPTs actually manufactured, are really tiny. Due diligence?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I believe that all of the Ruger Single Sixes and Super Singles Sixes manufactured after the introduction of the .22 WMR were made with bores rifled to the .22 WMR specs. Colt's also changed their rifling specs to .22 WMR dimensions after 1964 for their Scout line of single action .22's, but the horrid GS Series New Frontiers with the cross bolt safeties were only shipped with a .22 LR cylinder even though early advertising indicated that dual cylinders would be furnished, and their barrels were rifled to .22 LR specifications. I suppose if someone fitted a .22 WMR cylinder to one of the early Rugers or Colts made before they were rifled for .22 WMR and fired a .22 WRF there could be problems. There could be problems from the .22 WMR too, probably worse !

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I have a 1964 vintage Ruger Single Six Convertible. I will check the bore size tomorrow. It shoots well with 22LR so I'm guessing it has the smaller bore dimensions. More to follow.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
22 WRF
Bullet diameter: .224 in
Rim diameter: .294 in
Case length: .965 in
Rim thickness: .050 in
Neck diameter: .242 in
Base diameter: .242 in
Overall length: 1.180 in

22 Long Rifle
Bullet diameter: 0.223 in
Rim diameter: .278 in
Neck diameter: .226 in
Base diameter: .226 in
Case length: .613 in
Overall length: 1.000 in

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Wikipedia is INFORMIS for their errors. Some people still believe that if they read it online it must be true!
I have a hardback book Pistol and Revolver Cartridges by Barnes, which seems thorough and authoritative, but the wide ranges given for these various dimensions can't be right. Although not perfect, and done by volunteers, Wikipedia seems to be a better reference.

·
Registered
171 Posts
victorio1sw, I apologize if you feel that I had flamed you. If you look at the specs for the 22LR the difference between bullet diameter and case mouth is .003 inches. That means the case mouth walls are .0015 inches. Is that correct?

Sam

·
Registered
171 Posts
Please disregard the measurements I just posted. I was trying to do two things at once. I should know better because I find it hard to chew gum and walk at the same time!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
victorio1sw, I apologize if you feel that I had flamed you. If you look at the specs for the 22LR the difference between bullet diameter and case mouth is .003 inches. That means the case mouth walls are .0015 inches. Is that correct?

Sam
No problem!

Yes, 0.0015" sounds pretty thin for a 22 LR case wall. I would guess that the case wall would be more like 0.003" or so, but don't have one handy to caliper.

One thing that is unfortunate about Wikipedia on cartridges is that there is no standard format of information given. Thus, one cartridge may include overall length, while the next one leaves that info out. But I guess that comes with volunteers.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Just go to the SAMMI website. I did yesterday, they show on their engineering drawings the bore groove diameter of the .22 WRF as .226. Manufacturers go by SAAMI, not Wikipedia. And the head of CCI has said they make their bullets at .226 for this caliber, as well as if you pull them and measure them they are.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Follow up question to my original. I found another police positive revolver dating to around 1925. The barrel is marked Police Positive CAL .22

Is this 22 LR (rimfire)?

As cool as the WRF cartridge sounds I don’t want that kind of hassle/cost finding ammo. I want an easy plinking gun. I want to be able to drop by Walmart or Dicks and pick up a box of ammo on the way out of town

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
“ I want to be able to drop by Walmart or Dicks and pick up a box of ammo on the way out of town “

Hasn’t Dick’s gone completely out of the firearms business including ammo?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts