Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a Colt but still an appropriate question to ask...

I know some of you have .22 caliber handguns or rifles. I just bought a lever action .22LR. Most of the ammo I see is 36-40gr. I've seen lower and higher grain loads and wondered if there is a preference out there that gives the best overall results. I assume that in a semi-auto you need a certain type to give a good ejection of the casing but is that totally irrelevant in a bolt or lever action rifle?

I also bought a 3-9x40 BDC 150 scope and wondered what the outer limits for a .22LR might be for varmint hunting such as prairie dogs. I find prairie dogs to be a suitable target for accuracy right between paper targets and steel targets though it might be somewhat hard to show your groupings. I also don't think that these would be the kind of pictures that you guys crave all of the time.

Just saying......

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...Being new to this caliber I figured I'd ask some questions. I did settle on a lever action rifle because of the likelihood of feeding problems in the
semi-auto. When I bought the rifle I was given 100rds of Winchester 40gr to start. I've since accumulated some Winchester 36gr, Aguila 40gr and CCI 36gr. I also saw some 22LR that had a velocity of about 1750 fps. I try to stick to brass casings and whatever is reviewed as "clean firing." I guess I'll just have to shoot what I have and make the best of it. It's hard enough to buy 22LR in any quantity let alone find the same ammo twice.

I like the Nikon scopes because Nikon has the "Spot-on" technology where you type in the info for your scope and what type ammo you are using and you can get the bullet drop info for whatever yardage you want. It works well for my AR15 so I would expect the same for the .22LR. Varmint hunting is entertainment for after dinner before the sun goes down. Sit on the back porch with a good cigar and send the Jack Russell Terrier out in the field to stir things up.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from shooting my Henry 22LR today. Got her zeroed in at 100yds and was able to pop a 5" steel target fairly consistently using a benchrest. I was shooting Winchester 36gr plated hollow points. Don't have a favorite brand because I'm just getting started.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.