Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one shoot the Winchester 25-20. I bought a 92 saddle ring carbine in that caliber. Have not got the rifle yet. Curious what others think of the rifle and caliber.
Seems that ammo is going to be exspensive for it.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Any one shoot the Winchester 25-20. I bought a 92 saddle ring carbine in that caliber. Have not got the rifle yet. Curious what others think of the rifle and caliber.
Seems that ammo is going to be exspensive for it.

Good morning.... I had one in the 1980s and loved it. Unfortunately traded it several years later. Was a wonderful gun to shoot and I loved the caliber. I think you will be quite happy. Just love those wildcat calibers myself. Truly a blast from the past.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I have some 92's in 25-20 and they're fun to shoot. Great plinker. Used to shoot them a lot but then my hoard of ammo started to dwindle and I quit. I think Black Hills and Buffalo still make it. The older white or yellow box Winchester ammo is very high and hard to find but if you go to gunshows you'll find it, but they're priced as collector stuff. Re-loading is best and while i have all the dies and stuff I never got around to it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have a 1907 Model 92, and load for it. The 25-20 was the first varmit gun, and the cartridge eventually evolved in to the .257 Roberts. 12 grains of IMR 4227 makes a hot little load.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've had a several score's mind battle between the .25-20 and the .32-20 as to which I would rather get and shoot, but as with such things it get put to the dusty cob-web strewn reaches of the mind in favor of something else. Looking things over I think I'll go with the .32-20 WCF simply because I already have bullet molds for it and it's easier to cast for. Star Line makes new .32-20 brass that can be formed into .25-20 and .218 Bee, (the .32-20 WCF being the parent cartridge of both).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a 1912 model 92 me and the grand kids shoot. I reload 5.0 grains of Unique under an 85 grain lead bullet. I have found brass from Steve at Load-X. for less than a dollar a piece including shipping. The bullets come from Missouri Bullet company for $30.00 per 500. It's like a reloadable 22 magnum!
I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
25-20 brass hasn’t been made in awhile, people are forming cases from 32-20. Ammo or brass may be a challenge and or costly initially. I found a friend a 92 rifle from Scheels in ND a few years ago. He wanted as a memory when they had a large cattle herd in SD and that was the rifle use to keep the coyotes at bay.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found some Winchester ammo from a local friend. I don't shoot enough to buy reloading equitment. One time I had all one needed to reload but gave it all to my son. I am anxious to get the rifle and shoot it some. I got aa couple ground hogs using under my barn so that should be some good practise for the 25-20.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've loaded for the 25-20 for the Winchester 92. Keep the bullets below a hundred grains and it does fine. One "reloading expert" had loaded a batch up of 117 grain and they tumbled badly. One batch of new Remington cases I got would split when trying to load. They apparently had skipped the final annealing. I annealed them and they worked fine then. The best bullet performance is from bullets in the 65 to 86 grain weights. The 92 is many times over able to handle any load you are likely to use. Your safety margin will be huge.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I would see if I could find a Lyman tong tool and reload for it.
Dennis
As a collector of those tong tools I can tell you unless you 'luck' into one at gun show, you will wind up with close to $100 in it. Better to just buy the Lee dies.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I own a Winchester Model 53 (an "improved" version of the 92) in 25-20 and it is a joy to shoot. When I was younger, I often shot 300 Weatherby. The 25-20 is much more pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I inherited my great-grandfather's best friend's Winchester 92. Everyone called him Uncle Charlie. He never married and it made its way to me.

I wish cartridges weren't so expensive, because it is an absolute joy to shoot. I've put two box of modern Remington through it, but haven't touched the boxes that came with the rifle.

Enjoy. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have two 25-20 Winchester's a 1903 Model 1892 and a 1926 Model 53. I was lucky enough to come into a good supply of ammo at a LGS who had no interest in it.
The 25-20 doesn't really seem to be a popular or loved round these days. Compared to 92s in 44-40, 38-40 and even 32-20. But as Varmint round and plinking it's great.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I enjoy shooting my two Win 92s plus a Remington model 25 pump but ammo is a problem. At a gun show a few moths ago a dealer who just had boxes and boxes of miscellaneous ammo he had a box of Remingtons for $35 which I jumped on. Another dealer thought he had "collector" ammo, had a box of Win for $95. No thanks. I also reload so I can reuse the brass.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts