Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Join the party. Show us what you've got or tell us a gun story.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i too wondered about that but have since figured it out. there are a select few that act like they know everything, you will find their post everywhere, strangly you will not find a single welcome to the forum post from the same crowd. see if you can figure out who they are.now ask your self, if you are not even welcomed will you join in on the discussion??

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't think it is that simple. I for one probably come to this web site just about every day, but I only post in threads that I have specialized knowledge, or starting a new thread which is rare. I consider this the "Colts Expert" forum and it is not (to me) for casual comment based on what I have observed since joining. This is about as casual as it gets.

My colt and other gun accumulating probably is not at the same rate as many here and I tend to focus on the Post 1930 guns and in particular the guns since WWII since they tend to cost less. I know what I know. I don't consider myself "expert" in anything relative to Colt firearms.

Frankly my ego does not require for me to feel welcomed when I join a forum and I usually don't introduce myself in the new member or lounge section. I may have introduced myself on the first forum I joined. I figure if I post, folks that care will learn my interests over time and get a general grasp of what level of knowledge I have.

I like to hunt and I enjoy posting on those kinds of forums. I also like Colt and other handguns, and I generally only buy quality handguns or rifles. My "collection" is probably 3 Colts to every other brand. But the pile is not all that large. If there is anything that I have that is particularily interesting to many folks here, it would be my pile of Diamondback 22's which I have been picking up since the 1980's.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[ QUOTE ]
there are a select few that act like they know everything, you will find their post everywhere, strangly you will not find a single welcome to the forum post from the same crowd. see if you can figure out who they are.now ask your self, if you are not even welcomed will you join in on the discussion??

[/ QUOTE ]

You talkn' about me? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I get soooo pumped up researching Colt revolvers. I was up till 3:30 last night just reading and researching. You often see my posting go in cycles. Currently I'm pumped and your seeing a lot of posting from me. Most of my posts are question posts. I want to learn more and gain knowledge. I hope someday I can help others as others have helped me. I owe that in return.

I'd like to see the forum owner show the last "joined" member so I could give him or her a howdy doody. I'd also like to see a spell checker. Not for you my friend but for me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm going to start going out of my way to welcome newbies so they do feel at home. I feel that this forum is a casual forum but I believe many members feel intimidated so they're reluctant to post. I do feel that the members keep the posting professional and that is necessary. That's due to the fact that most of us are older. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
addicted, no my post was not directed at you personally. check the who`s online and see if there not more unregistered users than members on at any time. now check new member signin and show me a few replys to newbies from SENIOR members. ok, now imagine someone comes into YOUR home or business and say`s hi i`m bob smith and gets maybe 1 reply back.now tell me honestly do you expect to see bob smith back again?? just my 2 cent worth.and hey thanks for the reply back. please notice you are the ONLY one who did reply. regards dux /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
909 Posts
Dux,
OK, I'll bite. When I started visiting this board, I didn't greet new members because I thought - who am I? I'm new too, how can I represent anything?

Now I see the new members introduction as almost a separate category...what can you say to someone making their first post? Welcome aboard and not much else.

If I'm pressed for time, or gone for a few days, I will only check out what I am interested in - Colt's revolvers - nothing else. Probably the same situation for others.

But don't beat up on the "Seniors". If they leave, you lose your pool of knowledge; our loss.

Regards, B.W. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I will welcome someone when I attempt to answer a question they ask-BUT- there are so many "one post wonders",with just a question in a specific gun they have,that once answered,its "bye bye".

It would also help IF some "newbies",or those who had questions answered,said THANKS-but then good manners and gratitude is a dimishing character trait in America.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This forum is pretty much typical of the few internet gun collector forums I've joined, and if you choose to do so, we can probably be divided into somewhat familiar categories to fit the various members.
First, there's the core of "experts" that always seem to be available to answer questions in any category.
Then comes the more specialized "experts" who may stick to a particular segment of the forum...gunsmithing, revolvers, semiautos, etc.
Next are the fellows who use the classifieds, and rarely post in any other categories.
Then comes the fellows who simply have to post something in nearly every thread, regardless of whether they have a clue as to what they are talking about.
Close on the heels of the latter are the fellows who can take any topic, even a well established hard fact, and speculate it to death.
Next is the hard core members of the latter group who simply must get in the last word, no matter how long it takes.
Then there are the select few who have a wonderful talent for hijacking any thread, on any topic, and steering it into left field instead of starting a new thread.(Like now?) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Then, there's usually a few that migrate to the lounge and develop a talent for generating all those wonderful "what's your favorite 45-70 revolver" threads, or "went to the range today", or the one everybody loves, "9mm vs 45".
In the middle of all these, is the average Joe who enjoys his hobby, likes to read all the good stuff here, asks questions about things he wants to know, and doesn't answer questions unless he actually knows the correct answer.
Last, but not least, are the lurkers who haunt the fringes reading everything, but never post anything.
I'm sure there are more to add to the list, but the short list covers most of us. Fortunately, this forum is long on contributing members, and very short on anything that could be considered negative. I don't think there's anything on the list that's actually a negative, because all these things are what makes the forum interesting, and keeps us coming back. I have to plead guilty to putting new member greetings on tail end of my list of priorities and only going there when I'm not in a hurry, but will do better, as we all should.
When I first joined this forum, it was lucky to have a couple of posts a week, but it's slowly growing, and hopefully, will continue to grow, and maintain the same high quality membership.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As long as I've been here this site has been for information rather than the general chit chat found on other forums. That is what makes this forum different and also have held down the trolls. The S&W forum is proud they have 7 or 8 thousand members. We got along just fine for a long time with just 5 or 6 contributing members (it still isn't very far from that number). Most of the other posters, like stated above, only came here with a specific question because this site was referred to them and after they got the answer that was the last we saw of them. If they didn't post back becausee no one welcomed them then that's just life. They did get their answer to the best of our knowledge.
So if you are looking for a hearty hello with a big hug then you have found the wrong place. If you are looking for Colt info (and a lot of it isn't written in any book) then this is the place to be.

How about we nominate Icdux1 as the official greeter here since it seems to be a problem now?
[ QUOTE ]
i too wondered about that but have since figured it out. there are a select few that act like they know everything, you will find their post everywhere,

[/ QUOTE ]
But is the information posted correct? If someone knows more than you on a subject does that make them a know-it-all?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have to go along with the "timing". Many of us barely have the time to scan the Forum, look at a couple of "key" (interested) sections and then head off to 'other' things.
I for one hardly find the time, especially on a weekend , like now, when I'm set up at one of the local shows.(Medina, Ohio)
Come down, check the e-mails, scan a couple of Forums, and I'm still waiting for a coat of 'Tru Oil' to dry on a pair of grips. Caught the Indians game, they won, see Ohio State is leading Texas, and you want me to "greet someone"??
Would love to, but ONLY when there is the "time".

Think of all the deals I miss cause I can NEVER get over to ANY of the gun sales/auction sites, nor even the 'classifieds 'here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Sorry, just my .02 cents, many of us do leave or have listed our 'e-mails' if something comes up 'that' important.

·
Registered
73 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see the forum owner show the last "joined" member so I could give him or her a howdy doody. I'd also like to see a spell checker. Not for you my friend but for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

the newest member info is available in the "Extra information" box in the main index page near the bottom.

spell checker is available as a 3rd party modification. i'm avoiding 3rd party mods because whenever you upgrade to a new version of the forum software they may break.

ask your mommy if she'll buy you hooked-on-phonics for xmas and your spell check problem should be fixed... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-cfadmin

·
Registered
794 Posts
For spell checking, rather than asking your mommy, create your text in MS Word and perform your spell check there. Then simply do a cut and paste of text into reply.

You can do the same thing from your e-mail, as most mail servers have a spell check function.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
One of the easiest/best internet spell checkers is ieSpell.

This is a simple but effective spell checker that installs on your tool bar in Internet Explorer.

All you have to do after installation is click the ieSpell box on the tool bar, and it does a fast check.

It includes a personal library to add special use words.

It's FREE and works without a lot of effort.

http://www.iespell.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Join the party. Show us what you've got or tell us a gun story.

[/ QUOTE ]
HI TO ALL FROM AUSTRALIA
A NEW MEMBER AS OF TODAY AND LOOK FORWARD TO CONTRIBUTING
TO DISCUSSIONS ALONG THE WAY
SO I'LL START NAME BOB,LIVE IN CAMPBELLTOWN/SYDNEY ABOUT 50KS FROM THE CITY.I WORK AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER IN THE AUTOMOTIVE FIELD.I LOVE TARGET SHOOTING AND LIVE ONLY
5 MINUTES AWAY FROM THE RANGE.I DO A LOT OF C/FIRE
SILHOUETTE & B/POWDER. AS FAR AS COLT ARE CONCERNED I ONLY HAVE ONE ITS A 357 PYTHON 6".MY OTHER GUNS ARE 3 X T/CONTENDER IN 7MMTCU FOR BIG BORE..22CAL MATCH & 357MAG.A S&W MOD 16-4 IN .32H&R MAG 6" A NICE FUN GUN.I HAVE 2 X RUGER BLACK POWDER REVOLVERS BOTH BLUED WITH ONE BEING ENGRAVED 80% THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL GUN AND MAY LAST ARE 3 X BENELLI WORLD CUP AUTOS 2 IN .32CAL & THE OTHER IN .22CAL AND I MAY BE TWISTED TO BUY A PARA 38SUPER IN 2006 THATS MY
WEEEEEEESTORY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts