Votes: 3 11.1%
  • >Greater than $1500

Votes: 24 88.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this one coming up for auction. Serial number 29312. With 4 more days to go I suppose it will go well over $1000. I'm not going to waste my time researching the number in hopes of interesting history since it's so ugly I'd be half ashamed to display it no matter what the story. Help me out here, unless this was Custer's gun, why so much for a rust bucket?

https://colorado.hibid.com/lot/62088618/antique-colt-single-action-army-peacemaker-m1873

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
it's so ugly I'd be half ashamed to display it no matter what the story.

That revolver is beautiful.

While I enjoy looking at the pictures in books such R. L. Wilson's STEEL CANVAS and COLT ENGRAVING, it was back in the 1980s when I purchased FIREARMS OF THE AMERICAN WEST (two volumes) by Luis Garavaglia and Charles Worman that I truly appreciated the guns that were there in the blood and the mud.

If I were so inclined, I would gladly pay a considerable sum higher that $1,000 for the Colt SAA you pictured.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would own it . I wouldn't give over $1500 for it , wouldn't want to give $1000 but I might if I could see it first hand instead of the crappy auction pictures . It is first gen and at auction and people been known to bid stupid on such things so it might bring more than you expect . It might even be in much better ( minus them fake ass notches ) condition than it looks . The red rust makes me think they are fairly a recent addition . For what it's worth I am not an expert on anything and know almost nothing about how to tell a real 1st gen from a very good fake which would limit what I personally would be willing to bid .

Eddie

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't find that gun totally hateful. Be interesting to see a letter on it. We all like pristine guns, but sometimes one comes along that is just plain interesting. I'm betting it will go for over 2000.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That revolver is beautiful.

While I enjoy looking at the pictures in books such R. L. Wilson's STEEL CANVAS and COLT ENGRAVING, it was back in the 1980s when I purchased FIREARMS OF THE AMERICAN WEST (two volumes) by Luis Garavaglia and Charles Worman that I truly appreciated the guns that were there in the blood and the mud.

If I were so inclined, I would gladly pay a considerable sum higher that $1,000 for the Colt SAA you pictured.
I agree 100% on the Garavaglia and Worman books. I'm sure I'm much better off looking at them than spending money on a rusty serial number. As a wanna be collector all I hear is buy condition, condition, condition and then I see an auction like this. I'm a history buff more and more every day, but here's another example.....

Sold for $40,000 just because it was dug at LBH. I'm sure the consignor paid a whole lot less....

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree 100% on the Garavaglia and Worman books. I'm sure I'm much better off looking at them than spending money on a rusty serial number. As a wanna be collector all I hear is buy condition, condition, condition and then I see an auction like this. I'm a history buff more and more every day, but here's another example.....

Sold for $40,000 just because it was dug at LBH. I'm sure the consignor paid a whole lot less....
OK stavok, help me out here please......................................LBH????

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another relic for sale. The 29312 is in much better shape by comparison and currently half the price.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864139826
Yikes! You've found an even uglier one! OK, OK, I apologize. I mean a less beautiful one. Yes, I agree the adjective should not have been used and I'm sorry for the language in my first post. Do you suppose the grips in the listing are original? Gutta-percha? They look to have weathered better than the rest of it while sitting under the Laramie dirt. Surprising how durable a natural substance can be (especially compared to my weather cracked 10 year old tires).

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The Colt SAA you present is far better than relic. Even an early non Little Big Horn Colt SAA in truly relic shape can push a grand these days. I'm betting this one, If it doesn't hit 2k, it comes within 10% of that. I had one in similar condition in the same serial number range and it brought nearly 2k when I sold it a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
(Formerly) My very similar Colt Single Action Army, deacquisitioned 30 April 2018

I posted this because I had a photograph of my Colt, in very similar condition, and only 339 serial numbers later (29651). I sold it for $2057. I thought I did not break 2k on it, but I did slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
What am I missing here, what makes the 7.5" barrel rare on this gun?
Dennis
Maybe it rare on account of it's the only 7 1/2" 44-40 Colt they have dug out of that particular dirt , makes it 1 of 1 , right ? ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts