Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. A friend has a SAA that he wants information if any one has an idea. Ser# 840XXSA, 4 3/4" barrel, blue/case, 45 Colt, 3rd Gen. cylinder, Mfd.: 76/77. The trigger guard is reddish. He was told it was factory for this serial number range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what he tells me. He was told it has parts from both second and third generation. He was told from collectors at the last Reno show that the reddish trigger guard was correct for an early third. My guess it is total third.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know about this particular pistol, but I once had a SAA with a serial # about 80xxxSA that had a reddish tint to the trigger guard, it had both 2nd/3rd style parts, sorry I don't recall what they were. It has been stated here on many occasions that Colt used up old parts on new guns.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
No facts, just a dim memory, but I heard back then that those trigger guards were investment cast steel and did not take Colt bluing process well resulting in the purple/red tint.

·
Registered
519 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.