Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has a Colt second generation blackpowder stainless steel percussion revolver, but it doesn't have the presentation box or accessories or any of that, just the revolver.

I'm toying with the idea of picking it up as a shooter, and I'd like to use the lack of all the accoutrements as a bargaining chip. How much would you say it reduces the value not having the accessories?

For what it's worth, the revolver itself is in fine (I suspect unfired) condition and would make a nice shooter in its own right, but I don't want to pay full collectible value for just the gun.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Stainless are much less common that blued/cc. the last I looked they were price 50-%100 more than the common blued guns. The guns did not come with the wooden case, mold, flask, cap can or nipple/screwdriver tool; those were offered on the side. It would have only come with the box and instruction manual and maybe some other cards. Colt did send me a run-off copy for my 1860 for free when I requested on years ago, but I bought one off of ebay a few year ago for $5 I believe. It appears a good place to start with any older/new Colt is to deduct $100 without a box.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought one last year in the box with all the paper work, hang tag, etc. unfired for $600. Mine is 1851 Navy model. It comes without the accessories (powder flask, mold, wrench, etc. That is a separate item.
$450-500 would be a fair price w/o the box. If you plan to shoot an unfired pistol, I would try for something less costly. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
It came in a black box surrounded by foam, with an owners manual and an advertising pamphlet. Which model is it? Around 1400 model 1860's were made, under 500 of the 1851 Navy, and so far 8 of the 1861 navies are known.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Another forum member pointed out that these Colt 2nd Generation Blackpowder Revolvers were the first stainless steel guns marketed by Colt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Another forum member pointed out that these Colt 2nd Generation Blackpowder Revolvers were the first stainless steel guns marketed by Colt.
Even more interesting is that the 2nd Generation Blackpowder Series announcement for the stainless models came at the same time of the announcement that the entire line was being discontinued. The 2nd Gen. 1860 Army was the first Colt ever to be produced in Stainless.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at it again today, and it has an 1850 patent date on it with engravings of ships on the cylinder, so I guess it's the Navy model but don't know how to reconcile that with the 1851 date. I didn't know the accessories were optional from Colt, so that's helpful information. The dealer is asking $600 +tax, and it's got a little handling/shelf wear. Nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I looked at it again today, and it has an 1850 patent date on it with engravings of ships on the cylinder, so I guess it's the Navy model

Both the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army have the same cylinder scene. However, with the 1850 patent date that makes it a Model 1860. It should have an 8" round barrel and be .44 caliber. The 1851 will be .36 caliber with a 7 1/2" octagon barrel. Pictured below are both Colt models. The 1860 is at the top.

John Gross

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army have the same cylinder scene. However, with the 1850 patent date that makes it a Model 1860.
Ahh, thanks John. It's an 1860 Army then, as it's a .44 with the round barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts