Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New member here. Signed up to get some info on my Colt 1851 2nd gen gun. Specifically, what I need to get in terms of a .38 special conversion cylinder.

A google search lead me here, with some old posts claiming the Howell cylinder will work. I reached out to them, but did not get a response.

Does anyone know which conversion cylinders will work in a Colt? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hello and welcome. You might try calling Taylor's and Co. as they sell conversion cylinders and I think they fit them too. I believe the conversion cylinders are only made for Uberti and Pietta, I don't think one was eve made for 2nd Gen Colt's. The 2nd Gen Colt's were made with a mixture of Colt and Uberti parts so I think a Uberti conversion cylinder will work but may require fitting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome. You might try calling Taylor's and Co. as they sell conversion cylinders and I think they fit them too. I believe the conversion cylinders are only made for Uberti and Pietta, I don't think one was eve made for 2nd Gen Colt's. The 2nd Gen Colt's were made with a mixture of Colt and Uberti parts so I think a Uberti conversion cylinder will work but may require fitting.
Thank you for the reply.

This is the thread that suggested the Howell cylinder: Conversion Cylinders in Colt BP Revolvers

Do you know of a good gunsmith that could fit the conversion cylinder, or someone that I could contact regarding the work and so on?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't know of any gunsmiths that I would personally recommend. I know Taylor's and Co. sells the conversion cylinders and if you also buy the gun from them they will fit it. I don't know if they would fit one to a customer's gun. It's worth giving them a call. I think they would probably be able to tell you which cylinders might work best even if they can't do the fitting.
Conversion Cylinders - Accessories (taylorsfirearms.com)

Another place you might try is Longhunter's. They used to sell black powder revolvers with custom action work and special features. I don't see them for sale on their website anymore but they might still do the work.
COWBOY ACTION FIREARMS - LONG HUNTER SHOOTING SUPPLY

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts