Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Where is best place I could get a 2nd gen cylinder for a 1st gen Colt SAA to shoot modern ammo?
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Gunbroker, ebay, Numrich. You may have to chenge out the hand to a 3rd gen hand for it to operate properly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Kubota, What caliber? What year 1st Gen?Black powder or smokeless frame?Rick, post #5 above,has a good point and I'm not sayin' yea or nay, but many 1st Gen.s have had barrel and cylinder swaps and caliber changes over the years . I believe Colt did many in their repair dept.I know Skeeter Skelton and partners did a many a rebuilds on ol' 1st Gen. "dogs" collected for pennies in Mexico. I'm no gunsmith or metallurgist but I think any reasonable loading would not stretch the frame and pressures would be contained safely by a properly 'smithed 1st. gen. gun. Good luck, Nick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a .45 cal made in 1875-1876 according to serial # lookup. The barrel is 2nd gen. Not sure if Colt rebarrelled it or not.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Does just putting a 2nd gen barrel and cylinder in a 1876 production single action make it safe to shoot with modern ammo? My first reaction would be that you still have an old frame with old metal designed for black powder cartridges.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Does just putting a 2nd gen barrel and cylinder in a 1876 production single action make it safe to shoot with modern ammo? My first reaction would be that you still have an old frame with old metal designed for black powder cartridges.
It's NOT safe,I've posted before about this same subject & told about the old blk pwdr colts I've worked on & found cracks in the frames after someone installed 2nd gen cyl's in them & shot modern loads for awhile.I've probably run into @ least 5 or 6 of them over the 57 yrs. I've spent working on SA's.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It's NOT safe,I've posted before about this same subject & told about the old blk pwdr colts I've worked on & found cracks in the frames after someone installed 2nd gen cyl's in them & shot modern loads for awhile.I've probably run into @ least 5 or 6 of them over the 57 yrs. I've spent working on SA's.
You mean if I put a jet engine in a Conestoga wagon I might lose more than a few clapboards on takeoff? :p

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yup, as Jim Martin says,if it is an old black powder frame it wouldn't be the smartest thing to load with modern loads. I suppose you could use black powder loads but probably the best thing would be try to find a proper barrel and save the piece for posterity. Nick

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You mean if I put a jet engine in a Conestoga wagon I might lose more than a few clapboards on takeoff? :p
That's a good description.When PSI's are generated in the cyl. they transfer to the base pin then from there to the frame,slightly less as they progress,the ones I've found have had small cracks going from the base pin hole to the hole where the set screw is or going from the base pin hole clear up to where the bbl. is screwed in the frame.One of the was a US stamped frame & the crack went both directions.

·
Premium Member
21,040 Posts
Those very old frames are actually iron, not steel. I would be very careful in choosing to shoot a high power smokeless cartridge in that frame.
I am not a metallurgist, either, but I used to work with several and they used to try and educate me on such subjects.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts