Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there's a method to restore some of the color case finish on a 2nd gen SAA frame?
The area around the frame screws on the left side was messed with before I bought the revolver.
I removed and restored the polished surface to the screw heads, then re-blued those, but the frame had something on it that appeared to be a stain or paint to cover over the color casing fade from rubbing.
If it cannot be restored, I'll probably have it nickel plated at Ford's.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,626 Posts
Usually color casing is coated with a lacquer, or in the older days a varnish to protect the finish from wear and fading.
Often the older coatings turn a slight amber color.
The coating can be stripped with lacquer thinner and a new coat of lacquer can be sprayed on.

If the colors themselves are damage or worn off, the only "fix" is to have the frame re-color case hardened. The preferred source for that is the Doug Turnbull company.
They do the finest color casing work there is, and do work for Colt.

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The preferred source for that is the Doug Turnbull company.
They do the finest color casing work there is, and do work for Colt.
I would just like to point out that the statement above is opinion.

Not everyone is a fan of Turnbull color case hardening. Me being one of them.

Has nothing to do with the quality of work they may or may not do, but rather has to do with the end product. I just don't care for his "version" of CCH, and I don't like the lacquer coating he sometimes applies too.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
The lacquer coating also intensifies the color of the casehardening.

Agree that if you are having a restoration done the finish should closely match the original finish.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I forgot to mention when Classic Guns does my work I tell them not to put the lacquer finish on my stuff,I don't like the phoney looking shiney finish that's become popular in recent yrs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts