Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been poking around on here looking for information about a gun I recently picked up. It is a 1969 7.5" .45 with a fully blued receiver. The revolver came to me with a set of aftermarket stag grips on it. I'd like to know what the correct grips should have been for this model? Any help or pictures would be appreciated. I have not seen many all blued guns and I'd like to learn what I can about this one. Frankly, I bought it because it was my birth year, and it looked in better shape than I do..... LOL!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
According to Wilkerson's book on 2nd gen SAA's, no SAA was made with a full bull finish. Many were fully blued by gunsmiths after they showed wear.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It could have been one slated to be a commemorative. I have a SAA with a blue frame because it's a WV Centennial, 1963. DSCN0646.JPG Sometimes Colt used over runs of commemoratives to finish a revolver. We need pics of your revolver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's funny? I found some information when I first looked at this gun stating that the blued receiver was a limited run factory finish, but I have not seen much particular about it. I saw a couple pictures at that time showing similar guns with wood grips. I believe that a few of those were auction listings stating the guns were in original condition. The guy I got it from said that this gun had not been refinished, but he had lost the box and the original grips long ago after the stags were installed. There certainly does not seem to be much information out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture or two. The revolver I have dates to late 1969 by the serial number. It is a 7.5 inch .45 Colt with the receiver being a deep blued finish, just like you would normally see on the barrel of a CCH gun. The grip frame / backstrap assembly is also blued. It does not look in any way to have been refinished.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
According to Wilkerson's book on 2nd gen SAA's, no SAA was made with a full bull finish. Many were fully blued by gunsmiths after they showed wear.
I just checked in my copy of Wilkerson's book The Post-War Colt Single Action Army Revolver (2nd ed.) 1980, and it is noted on pages 94-95 that Colt produced 32 Full Blue 2nd Generation SAAs. Is this still correct or has more recent research altered this information?

·
Premium Member
20,536 Posts
I just checked in my copy of Wilkerson's book The Post-War Colt Single Action Army Revolver (2nd ed.) 1980, and it is noted on pages 94-95 that Colt produced 32 Full Blue 2nd Generation SAAs. Is this still correct or has more recent research altered this information?
You are right! I had looked in the production tables in his book on pages 216-217 and they do not show any full blued SAA's
Also, I later realized the Colt Commemorative (125th Anniversary) was a full blue series.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the way my gun looks, but it does not have the gold accents at all.

Would those grips with the gold medallions be correct for mine? I've seen walnut grips with either silver, gold, or no medallions at all on the second generation guns. I just don't know what is supposed to be correct.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What year were the anniversary models produced? By the serial number, my gun is a 1969 date of manufacture. There is no nomenclature on mine that would indicate it was any kind of a commemorative model.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Sorry to say it's been refinished.

Click on the last photo. When it opens, click on it again which will zoom in. Look between the Hammer screw and the next screw to the left. Notice the slight rust pits that were not completely polished out and were blued over. Also notice the dished out area where someone sanded out a deep pit but did not correctly flat sand and polish it.

Also notice the wide seam between the trigger guard strap and bottom of frame has rounded edges on both sides of frame from incorrect polishing. Compare to the tight seam between the back of frame and the back strap ears on the right side of frame in the first photo.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I don’t have a 2nd generation full blue SAA but I have one from the 3rd generation with black powder frame and factory stag grips without medallion. In my opinion the stag grips look real great on that gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to say it's been refinished.

Click on the last photo. When it opens, click on it again which will zoom in. Look between the Hammer screw and the next screw to the left. Notice the slight rust pits that were not completely polished out and were blued over. Also notice the dished out area where someone sanded out a deep pit but did not correctly flat sand and polish it.

Also notice the wide seam between the trigger guard strap and bottom of frame has rounded edges on both sides of frame from incorrect polishing. Compare to the tight seam between the back of frame and the back strap ears on the right side of frame in the first photo.
I guess my pictures don't do it justice. There is no "dished out" area or "rounded edges" on the gun, it is just lighting in the photo. There are some handling marks on the gun, but no "rust pits".

I guess I'll have to spend some money with Colt and get a factory letter to know how this gun left the factory......

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I agree with Hondo. I think your SAA has been re-blued. This solves two problems for you. Now you can shoot it and not worry about ruining any collector value. Also, you can put whatever type of stocks you feel like on the gun. Enjoy your Colt SAA,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts