Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this 2nd Gen 5 1/2 New Frontier exactly as shown. Everything that I have read stated that these guns originally came with walnut grips, however the grips on this gun fit perfectly and have the serial number scratched on the inside. The gun is very early (sn 33XXNF) and wondering if they could be original or a clever forgery. Has anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
NOT original to that NF, but NOT a forgery either. Those look to be REAL Colt stocks that are serving very well on your NF sixgun. Somebody had good taste when they installed those stocks upon the sixgun !! AND do remember, anyone can scratch anything upon the innards of stocks.
MINE are Eagle/Pony black stocks on my 4 3/4" 45 NF.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The serial numbering of the 2nd Generation New Frontiers started at 3000NF so you do have a very early gun. I agree that the stocks are probably not original to the gun but they sure look great. I doubt if a factory letter would tell you if the HR stocks are original. Don Wilkerson makes no mention of black HR stocks on any 2nd Generation New Frontier in his survey. There were only 520 2nd Generation .45 Colt chambered New Frontiers with 5 1/2" barrels made so you have a scarce gun. I have the same gun with serial number 6666NF. Enjoy your 2nd Generation Colt New Frontier.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have 4 N.F. Colts and not one came with grips I would have put on a cap pistol. They are the plainest ,ugliest, most uninteresting walnut grips on the planet.Cost limitations were likely why Colt did this but,to put such garbage grips on a premier gun defies the imagination.I bag 'em and tag'em and put what I can on. I have one N.F. 44-40 that I put a set of 1 gen. hard rubber stocks on and it looks great.Usually the 1st and 2nd gen. guns have a little smaller grips than 3rd gens. but, somehow,these fit perfectly.I trimmed and fit a set of aftermarket stags on one but a previous owner[Bubba?] hogged out the pin hole so I had to use Accraglas to fix them.Sure, it's on the inside and you can't see it but I know it's there.I would love to fit them all with ivories but the real stuff has always been a little beyond my reach until now....Now,I can't even see them with my spotting scope!! Maybe Tru-Ivories or the wife[bless her soul] will win the Publishers Clearing House give away[ yea right] and I will be able to put Ivory and Gold on them.Hold on,hold on, my BP is rising and I'm gettin' [?] crazy!! Hey, I love the New Frontiers and I hope nobody else does 'cause it keeps the price down! Nick
Edit: BTW, I DON'T scratch numbers in the grips. That jus' ain't right. NR

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
As fools rush in where angels fear to tread, if those grips were of the correct period, shouldn't they have the eagle?

Bob Wright

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Your NF looks great with the hard rubber grips. I had an early 3rd gen NF and the original walnut grips were so ugly and poorly fitted that I did the same thing. I much prefer the look of the 1st gen or early 2nd gen grips to the 2 piece walnuts.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
The original magazine sales add for the New Frontier dated 1962 boasted walnut stocks with gold emblems. I like the look of your gun though. My Ned Buntline NF 12" nickel came with black eagle stocks but that was 1980.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the responses and compliments. I didn't believe they were original based on my resources, but they are fitted so well I thought "maybe".

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have searched for grips like those or the ones with the eagle and had no luck. Where do I look? Coltparts doesn't have them, nor does an internet search turn anything up except cheap knock offs that don't fit at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I went the e-bay route and I purchased a set of "genuine" Colt grips.....except they don't even come close to fitting a Model P, I expect they are for a .22 New Frontier because they look about that size. So I am still searching for some REAL Colt grips with the eagles or at least the Pony for a full size SAA. Kurt

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Kurt,
I have several pair of third gen eagle grips, but fitting them to a gun is a "hit or miss", as the Colt frames are all slightly different and the grips were fit to the frame before polishing and polished together to get a fit. If you want a pair, email me and we can work something out.
Hugh
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
If such an early NF (early 1960's) were to have been shipped with hard rubber grips, they should not have the eagle on them. The possibility is there that the grips on the gun are correct by a special order.

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
KurtM: I live in the Richmond, VA area where America Remembers is located. To build their gaudy commemoratives, they took off the originals (black hard rubber with eagle) and put on various
'decorative?' grips. They sold the originals at local gun shows. I have about 20 pairs I purchased years ago, but I can assure you, just like swamprat said, that in just about every case, fitting is required. If he has grips and will fit them for you, that is the best answer. Usually, one just needs to send the triggerguard and backstrap to allow for fitting; not the whole gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saintclair, I am actually fairly good at fitting such things. I am well aware that Colt fits and finishes the grips as they go, so I know they might not be perfect as they come, but the problem I have been facing is finding the grips. Just form these forums and from very knowledgeable Colt owners such as yourself I now have at least two avenues of where to get them! Thank you!!!

I haven't really been "into" the Model P for very long even though I have had one since 1968. I only recently started getting interested in loading for them and shooting them more, so I am way behind on where to get things for the SAA. I was always more into the "other" .45 (1911-A1 and 2011 clones). When my main job was slow, I used to work for a fairly high end gunsmith where we specialized in M-14 accuracy work, Perfomance Bolt action rifles and Custom 1911,s. I assume fitting stocks for a model P would be no worse than fitting a stock blank to a 1886 Winchester of which I have done a couple. If it is alright with you I might take you up on your offer if the ones Mr. Clark has are undersized, oversized I think I can deal with. Thanks again for your offer. Kurt Miller

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
KurtM: Your skills certainly exceed mine and I can usually easily fit the grips that I have to a SAA that 'needs' them. If your present lead dead-ends, send me a PM and I can work something out with you on one of my grip sets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts