Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
It appears someone welded a New Frontier sight on a SAA barrel. It looks like it works but is easy to see that it is not factory as it does not go to the end of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Man I wish people would avoid getting their nasty bare feet in their gun photos. This seems to happen with too much frequency. Can't help with the gun, smkummer's explanation seems legit to me. Box looks a little hokey.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't be too worried about it, the New Frontier I bought came with a 7.5" barrel and rather than cut it down I bought a 4 3/4'barrel and put it on it and put the 7.5 one in the box in the safe.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Were some guns made with SAA barrel markings?
Just had to check out of curiosity and Wilkerson pictures a New Frontier with SAA barrel markings. He considered it a factory mismark. Not sure what is going on with the gun in the ad. I agree, as smkummer noted above, the sight was welded on after leaving the factory.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
He's right, it's clearly a replacement barrel. I agree Colt would use any parts at hand on occasion, but the level of wear is way different than the gun and as was said the sight is too far back, should be 1/16" back from the muzzle. The correct barrel roll mark would read "Colt New Frontier SAA 45".

The box however is legit. Used when standard boxes were out of stock. Although it doesn't appear to be numbered to the gun.

Overpriced for "mixmaster" gun.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
had too check Don Wilkerson's book The Post War Colt SA Revolver 1955-1975. in his book he shows a 2nd gen NF with a barrel like yours, mis-stamped. I'm sure it's not the only one. also your front sight is correct in it's placement according to the book. looks like you have a mis-stamped colt NF. cool

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
IT SEEMS TO ME that the markings on that barrel do not even look like those on any other Colt in my accumulation nor like the markings on those in my books[ so far ].
WHAT makes YOU think they are the markings on a real Colt barrel put there by the Colt company ?
FURTHERMORE, if that front sight is really and truly "welded" on that barrel everything else is suspect too.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
First, let me say that I am not all that familiar with the New Frontier revolvers, or for that matter, even the second generation Single Action Army revolvers.

However, this gun looks to me like a real New Frontier with a mis-marked barrel. The lettering style looks like that shown on page 25 of Don Wilkerson's book "The Post-War Colt Single-Action Revolver" (second edition, 1980). Don wrote that this lettering style was used from first production until about 1963-1964. From the serial number, this gun would have been built during that time.

As others have mentioned, there is another photo in Don's book that shows a mis-marked New Frontier. The photo is on page 184. That gun has serial number 6770NF and the lettering on the side of the barrel is the later style, post-1964 (wider spacing of the words than the earlier style). So there is at least one New Frontier that Don considered to be a factory error. And where there is one, there are probably at least a few more. (There have been a number of post on this forum about mis-marked Government Model/Commander pistols and other odd markings.)

Also, looking at the photos in Don's book, it seems to me that the front sight was always set back from the muzzle slightly and that the distance varied somewhat from gun to gun. I can't speak to the "welded on sight" issue because I don't know how that would look and the photos aren't that good anyway.

I'm not saying for sure that it is or it is not, but there seems to be some room for doubt as to it being rebarreled.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not saying for sure that it is or it is not, but there seems to be some room for doubt as to it being rebarreled.

- - -Buckspen
After reading this thread, I tend to agree.

Looks like the gun didn't sell. I was planning to ask the seller to send me a picture of the top of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
After reading this thread, I tend to agree.

Looks like the gun didn't sell. I was planning to ask the seller to send me a picture of the top of the barrel.
He ended it early. I would guess it sold locally, so he pulled the auction. I was going to throw in a bid at the last minute for kicks, possibly contact him to see if he would take less. Oh, well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts