Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NF.jpg I have been looking for a .44 or .45 2nd generation (standard SAA or New Frontier) for a while. When this showed up at my LGS I bought it after about 10 minutes of examination. I've been using George Garton's book on post-war SAAs to help me understand what's original and what's not. And it worked pretty good. The s/n, 66xxNF appears in all the right places as does the assembly number. No box or papers was included. Date of manufacture is 1970. Colt made 316 NFs in .45 with a 7 1/2 in barrel in that year. The LGS called it 98% but I think it's better than that. Can't wait to shoot it. Another great aspect of this buy was the price....$1235 out the door which includes the Cook County tax (for those of you not residing in the PRI (People's Republic of Illinois), Chicago in the primary population center for Cook County), an extra $25 firearms tax for God knows why. I'm guessing that New Frontiers are less expensive than standard models due to lack of demand. I don't really understand that but it got me a fantastic SAA for a price I never expected.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Heck I think you did awesome even with all the taxes. You are correct the New Frontiers are a bit cheaper, but I am guessing no less accurate or less pleasure to shoot. CONGRATULATIONS

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I agree that the 2nd Generation New frontier is a sleeper. The 2nd Generation New Frontiers were just not produced in large numbers. Less than 4400 total production that breaks down into four caliber, three standard barrel lengths, and a small number of New Frontier Buntline Specials. There are some rare variations. The 2nd Generation .44 Special New Frontier is one of my "grail guns."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks like a winner to me! I have a figure here of 1020 made Gen2 7 1/2 .45 NF's in total. That's not a large number in the scheme of all things that go bang.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
While on the New Frontier subject, of which I know less than even a little bit; where are the generation "breaks", either by serial numbers or by years ?

I have s/n 07522NF .44 special, that until tonight I thought was a 1978, (no idea of generation), but in looking at some pertinent serial numbers I see the 0 prefix was only used after a reintroduction of the N F model in Sept. of 78', starting at 01001Nf....... 1980 began at 06275NF, ended at 11374NF, and leaving the 0 prefix off after that.
I don't recall the source for my list of serial / years; nor do I know if it is correct.

So, a little help on where that puts mine is appreciated,.... with apologies to "sox fan" for the interruption of his thread subject. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts